Re: Just ordered a Cricket 40

John KK4ITX

Perhaps we need to come up with a Cricket Night Net ?  I have the 80m & 40m built and working but haven’t started the 30m insect yet, probably in the next few weeks.

I looked at a ZIF socket as an option and picked up a few to give it a try, if that doesn’t work, there are about 20 Hamfests coming up to search for an old scanner or 23 Ch CB that takes XTALS and see if I can salvage the sockets. Another thought was to use a 3-5 pos rotary switch and solder 3-5 xtals to it ?

As for a base antenna, I use an end fed Inverted V at 18ft.  This year at 5w CW I had QSOs in Washington State and Maine from my Florida QTH....... 40m/20m respectively.  I also have checked into the 4S Nets often with this antenna.

Give some thought to a Cricket Night, maybe just a Roundtable or meeting place ?

73,

John
KK4ITX

On Sep 12, 2019, at 12:03, Frank Artieta <zino395a@...> wrote:

Hello :)
As far as the crystal socket of which there is hardly any arrangement :)
I have not had much problem with !
Likely could mount the crystal on something and make some pins that would plug into a socket !
I have had problems with ft 243 crystals that were slightly bent up though !
You do not get many times to shove one in a socket
Till the socket is also messed up !
My favorite antenna is a 1/2 wave dipole fed with open line using a  balanced tuner of course
I have thought quite a bit about NVIS
I have also wondered how to remedy it :)
I would rather not have a Near Vertical takeoff Incidence If I had any choice :)
Though it is a fact most all my antennas have a bit NVIS because
It is almost impossible for me to get my antennas up where I would really like them to be :)
Using only trees :)
I try to build what I think are efficient antennas !
That is why I use open line !
Lots of QRPp ops seem infatuated with random wire antennas
That I hardly understand
I do understand random wire for Simplicity if you're out in the field or something
But In do not get it for a primary qrp antenna !
I mean I only have a about 1/2 real watt to work with :)
Least I have to believe in my heart my antennas are somewhat efficient !
A really kicking antenna I think would be a Bi Square !
I do not think a Bi Square minds being close to the ground on the bottom !
Also I also believe it makes a really nice radiation pattern
Quite a good bit better than a dipole !

Join CricketKit@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.