From: KD5ALD <73deKD5ALD@...>
Date: 9/12/19 10:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: CricketKit@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [CricketKit] Just ordered a Cricket 40

I hope not to talk out of turn
I never have a problem changing the crystals on my 80 meter cricket !
Though I do put a bit of masking tape sort of pulling the crystal down to keep it from vibrating !
Also I am a crystal collector :)
I do not want to miss a contact for lack of a crystal !

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM John KK4ITX via Groups.Io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Gwen,

That Pixie Switch may just solve the issue although it’s a little larger than I was aiming for. Need to check my inventory to see my catlike needs.

Thanks for the tip.

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Sep 12, 2019, at 20:17, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

I got a little board from KC9ON on Ebay (id: possumlodge) called a "Pixie Switch", designed to switch a Pixie's single crystal position to multiple crystals. It'll even do the front end pairs of Rockmites (though not the *3* crystal sets from a CRKits CRK-10A...don't know why he has three darned crystals per frequency in it...guess I'll just have to keep on opening my CRK-10A and changing them by hand). It could probably be pressed into service to work a Cricket. Maybe mount it in a little box with a short piece of cable, and either solder it on or use a 2-pin locking plug and socket instead of a DIP or SIP socket. It's only 3 bucks, so pretty cheap.

Gwen, NG3P

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 6:30 PM KD5ALD <73deKD5ALD@...> wrote:
Hello :) I think a time or a place for crickets would be great :)
I am feeling optimistic
I am thinking we been in the ditch quite long enough !
Sooner or later we have to see at least one sunspot :)
Me I done went and caught this QRPp sickness again !
I can not say at present if it is a good thing to do though !
Last night I listened for the 4 state net on 40 !
With my rig and with even several different web SDRs
Conditions I think were quite pitiful :)
I've read several gurus claim
The next Sunspot Cycle should be starting :)
They are just not sure when :)
But surely between now and a couple years !
If not it just might not !!!
Some say we are not even in a ditch but a bottomless pit !
Some have a really fancy name something like
Solar Minimumus foreverness
A fella has to be highly educated to think up such a name :)
72 73 88 and I know I am missing a one !

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 4:19 PM John KK4ITX via Groups.Io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Perhaps we need to come up with a Cricket Night Net ?  I have the 80m & 40m built and working but haven’t started the 30m insect yet, probably in the next few weeks.

I looked at a ZIF socket as an option and picked up a few to give it a try, if that doesn’t work, there are about 20 Hamfests coming up to search for an old scanner or 23 Ch CB that takes XTALS and see if I can salvage the sockets. Another thought was to use a 3-5 pos rotary switch and solder 3-5 xtals to it ?

As for a base antenna, I use an end fed Inverted V at 18ft.  This year at 5w CW I had QSOs in Washington State and Maine from my Florida QTH....... 40m/20m respectively.  I also have checked into the 4S Nets often with this antenna.

Give some thought to a Cricket Night, maybe just a Roundtable or meeting place ?

73,

John
KK4ITX

On Sep 12, 2019, at 12:03, Frank Artieta <zino395a@...> wrote:

Hello :)
As far as the crystal socket of which there is hardly any arrangement :)
I have not had much problem with !
Likely could mount the crystal on something and make some pins that would plug into a socket !
I have had problems with ft 243 crystals that were slightly bent up though !
You do not get many times to shove one in a socket
Till the socket is also messed up !
My favorite antenna is a 1/2 wave dipole fed with open line using a  balanced tuner of course
I have thought quite a bit about NVIS
I have also wondered how to remedy it :)
I would rather not have a Near Vertical takeoff Incidence If I had any choice :)
Though it is a fact most all my antennas have a bit NVIS because
It is almost impossible for me to get my antennas up where I would really like them to be :)
Using only trees :)
I try to build what I think are efficient antennas !
That is why I use open line !
Lots of QRPp ops seem infatuated with random wire antennas
That I hardly understand
I do understand random wire for Simplicity if you're out in the field or something
But In do not get it for a primary qrp antenna !
I mean I only have a about 1/2 real watt to work with :)
Least I have to believe in my heart my antennas are somewhat efficient !
A really kicking antenna I think would be a Bi Square !
I do not think a Bi Square minds being close to the ground on the bottom !
Also I also believe it makes a really nice radiation pattern
Quite a good bit better than a dipole !

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.

Join CricketKit@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.