Re: Hum on new build

Ken KM4NFQ

Hello Curt KB5JO,

Thank you for your reply.
I'm not sure what "antenna connector shield side" means?
I put up a 40m attic dipole. It is connected to a 50' length of RG8X
coax with PL259 ends.
There is an adapter from the BNC on the Cricket 40 to the coax.

I hooked up a recently made Chinese Pixie transceiver to the same antenna.
There was no background hum, however, it received an AM broadcast
station in addition to the CW.

The Cricket 40 does NOT receive the AM broadcast station -> (Praise
The Lord! Hell and Brimstone!)

The measured SWR on the antenna is about 1.2.

I think it was a good day yesterday to test the Cricket 40 because
there seemed to be a CW contest?
It was like a pile-up or something. Tons of CW signals were heard, all
at the same time. 8^D

I didn't hear anything with the 7.122 MHz crystal.
I heard plenty with the 7.030 MHz crystal.
The Pixie picked up the AM broadcast station with the 7.030 MHz
crystal and the 7.023 MHz crystal.
On the Pixie, the AM broadcast station was louder than the CW. But
there was no background hum.

Right now, the Pixie and the Cricket 40 are the only two radios I have.

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://groups.io/g/w8bhMorseTutor

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 7:36 PM Curt via Groups.Io
<rhulett1=consolidated.net@groups.io> wrote:

I own an 80A and a 30 Cricket, but not the 40M flavor. Neither of mine hummed with battery power, I wonder what your antenna connector shield side is connected to.

Curt KB5JO Cricketeer #005

Join CricketKit@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.