Re: Hum on new build

Ken KM4NFQ

Hello Curt KB5JO,

I seated the chip in the socket before I soldered the audio jack to
the PCB, and all the pins are seated properly, no rolled pins. I did
not remove the chip completely, just enough to see that the pins are
inserted okay. It is a tight fit with the audio jack soldered in. I'm
afraid I might roll a pin trying to get it back in, if I remove it
completely. 8^D

I will mess around with the kit to see if I can discover anything. I
was mainly curious to know if that hum was normal or not.

I have also hooked it up to a pair of old powered computer speakers
that have an annoying 60 cycle hum when they are plugged in, but the
distinctive background hum is still noticeable when the Cricket 40 is
turned on. Interesting, eh?

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://groups.io/g/w8bhMorseTutor

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 9:58 AM Curt via Groups.Io
<rhulett1=consolidated.net@groups.io> wrote:

Ken,

Yes indeed the audio amplifier IC chip connections are certainly possible cause of problems. Are you sure none of the pins got "rolled" plugging into the socket? Nothing wrong with using a socket, have used them often myself. Try unplugging and reseating the chip in the socket.

Both of my "Crickets" are silent except for signals, no hum using battery power. A wall wart would likely be different thing. The 30M does pick up AM BC in the evening.

GL, Curt KB5JO

Join CricketKit@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.