Re: HT20 - Nice Rig

Dave Benson

Stan-

I posted a set of easy Hilltopper mods here a couple weeks ago.  They bring the audio level up by 6dB, although I've tried 10 dB successfully as well. Perhaps the most significant change is in replacing the AF amp (an NE5532) with a different device.  Audio quality is much improved.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM StanWB2LQF <sjl219@...> wrote:

The QCX is remarkable for $49.  But five watts on 12 volts is my personal requirement for portable operations and this HT20 fills that need.  I don't yet know how the HT receiver compares to the QCX - but it certainly gave me a great introduction today.  I wish the HT had more volume and I noticed the gain control only really "works" toward the last third of its range, but I have about a half dozen small outboard audio amp kits laying around here somewhere so that will be my next project while I wait for my HT40  (;-)  73, Stan WB2LQF

On April 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM "Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io" <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Congrats Stan.  Yes, the HTs put out over 5 watts for the most part.  I think my HT 20 put out 5.1 watts and the HT 40 put out 5.9 watts.  Or maybe it was the other way around.  That was measured with a scope into a dummy load.

You sound like me - I’ve built quite a few QCXs and just about to start on HT #4.  The difference between the QCX and the HT is that you can hack the Hilltopper, add a display, add CAT control, change the tuning step intervals, etc., or if you are clever enough, do whatever you like.  With the QCX, it is what it is and there’s not anything you are going to change.

On Apr 8, 2019, at 5:48 PM, StanWB2LQF < sjl219@...> wrote:

Just finished my HT20 a couple hours ago.  I presently do not have any other radio in the house so I couldn't make the initial adjustments.  In spite of this situation, I managed to make my first contact within 5 minutes of connecting my antenna - Spain. Then I tuned down to the low end of the band and heard VK2KM in Sydney - long path to NY.  He sounded real nice through this little HT20.  Pileup was too severe for me to try.

I've built five (5) QCX transceivers and they are also very, very nice radios but none of them put out 5 watts on a 12 volt battery - I measured 5.6 watts from my new HT20 using an Elecraft dummy load, my Fluke DMM and some arithmetic.

Think I better order the HT40 real soon.
72, Stan WB2LQF