Re: What are the chances this would happen twice?

Charles W. Powell

That’s a difficult question. Where I live (near Kansas City) static discharge is rarely an issue. We have fairly high humidity, and I typically work in my basement. Static damage is always a possibility, but the BS170 is supposed to be pretty tough.

Chas - NK8O

On Apr 18, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Curt via Groups.Io <rhulett1=consolidated.net@groups.io> wrote:

Am curious whether the BS170 is as prone to damage from static as have heard the 2N7000 is. Somehow had the impression it was more rugged, but not sure where that impression came from,

Understanding that cumulative static damage happens before we receive parts, am paranoid assembling with FETs of any variety. The assembly is done in an aluminum tray, the FET goes immediately from the antistatic bag into the board. I use a grounded wrist strap, if the humidity is very low then assemble other components and wait for another day.

Curt KB5JO