Re: HT20 Alive!

Dave Benson

Curt-

A 9V supply will work, although a consumer-grade 9V battery may not last long- its internal resistance will increase pretty quickly as the cells discharge.  A limiting factor on the minimum supply voltage may be the dropout voltage on the 5V regulator- a supply voltage in the 6-7 volt range.  Even then, it may be a graceful degradation.

I've never tried testing it. Let us know how you make out.

BTW- I've used a three-cell (3S) Li-Ion battery quite a bit for portable applications- they're rated at 11.1V nominal and work very well with the Hilltopper.  Mine's a 1.3 Amp-hour battery weighing only 3 ounces.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:26 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Typically the value of the electrolytic caps and the heat capacity of the 5v regulators is the limiting factor.  I use 14.1 volts often without any problems.

On Aug 27, 2019, at 2:38 AM, Curt via Groups.Io <rhulett1@...> wrote:

The radio worked when turned on, and no smoke escaped!  Alignment was easy as described in the manual.  The receiver is fantastic, and am getting 5W output with a 12VDC supply.  One question is whether I can use the shack 13.8VDC supply without blowing up the finals?  Also, what is minimum voltage?  Will a 9VDC battery work, maybe 1W output?

No contacts yet but that will happen soon.

I think the little green box will become one of my favorites.  When the weather cools a bit, from the patio with an EFHW n tuner ought to be fun.

Thanks Dave and 4state!

Curt KB5JO