Re: Hilltopper

Dave Benson

Lee-

Thanks for your comments.   I suspect they had a hand in prompting a number of orders.  We were away on vacation, and returned to find the remaining store of Hilltoppers nearly sold out. Thanks again for your enthusiasm!

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:14 AM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:
I just ordered a 40 meter Hilltopper and have not built my 20 meter
version yet!  Curt, KB5JO, a friend of mine, keeps telling me how much
fun he is having with his 20 meter version.  So even though I have not
built the first one, I did not want to miss out in being able to get a
40 meter version.  I can see, there is a lot a merit in simplicity.  The
Hilltopper is well laid out and the instruction manual is great.  (I
just finished populating the board of another vendor's kits, and the
process was taxing to say the least.  At 81 years old, soldering surface
mount parts was not fun.  Finding where the parts all went was like
being on an Easter Hunt too!)  I love the fact the Hilltoppers are true
5 watt rigs at 12 volts and not at some higher voltage.  This makes
furnishing a power supply and charging the appropriate battery pack much
easier.  The rig covers the whole 40 meter band too!  I really like this
as I love the 7100-7125 portion of the band.  Not all 40 meter CW kits
cover this higher CW portion of 40 meters.  My only gripe is I think a
2019 rig should include a keyer with memory.  I like a memory keyer so
the one built in won't be used much.  I'll be using my 4 States outboard
EZ Keyer III. Not having to deal with finding or making a cabinet is
also a nice touch.  The more I think about this kit, is it is a REAL
SLEEPER!  Years ago I missed out buying a Red Hot Radio when they were
available and have always kicked myself for not picking one up when they
were available.  I think I would say the same thing if I didn't buy the
Hilltoppers before they were no longer available.  The Hilltoppers are
basic solidly built easy to build work horses.  Surface mount is taken
care of for you and the instructions make the build pretty much bullet
proof and fun to build. In short, this is a fun project to build and
KB5JO says it is a really fun rig to use.  That is saying something as
KB5JO has a lot of QRP rigs he has built.  For you guys on the edge of
ordering one or not,  my suggestion is you need to seriously consider
buying a Hilltopper while you can still do so.  As Curt has told me, the
Hilltopper is a REAL KEEPER !

Lee, w0vt, w5drc