Re: Problems, now that the radio is completed

Charles W. Powell

This isn’t a component issue Jeff.  Other than setting the receive offset at 600 Hz, the rest is simply in the firmware.  There is some very good modified code that changes all of this.  I will send you a separate e-mail that has the code for the offset, display and CAT control.

72,

Charles - NK8O

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:50 PM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 01:25 PM, Charles W. Powell wrote:
The BFO is about 400 Hz too high (or 600 if the goal is a BFO frequency of 800 Hz.)  My KX2 is set at 600 Hz which appears to be around the peak of the passband on the Hilltopper.  If I try to adjust further, the BFO frequency merely starts to climb higher, and farther away from the desired frequency.  The trimmer cap I think was all the way down tight.  Which way does the trimmer go?  Increase or decrease capacitance?
I feel like Rip Van Winkle... this is an old thread, but uncanny that I came to search the archives and found I’m having exactly the same trouble with my Hilltopper 40, namely:

I completed step 1 of the alignment: my ‘big rig’ hears the Hilltopper 40 right on 7.030.
Step 2, however... no such luck. I verified the Hilltopper 40’s sidetone is ~800Hz (using an app on my iPhone and matching the tone by ear). Now, when I send a signal from the ‘big rig’, I cannot get the received pitch in the Hilltopper 40 to go any higher than 600 Hz (again, using iPhone app to verify pitch).

While I’m not a huge fan of the 800 Hz BFO offset, I’ll be happy to adapt. I’m much more interested in being in tune with the fellow I’m trying to work, and I’d rather not have to hum “do-re-mi-fa” while tuning to feel like I’m spot-on with the other guy :-)

Since Charles had the same issue (even on a Hilltopper 20) I’m wondering if this is just the way things are... or if both he and I had/have the same problem. I’ll get out the magnifying glass to verify component values around the mixer. But in the meantime, any other suggestions?