You can have William check the schematic and locate the pin on U5 (controller IC) where the Function switch connects. With a multimeter set to DC volts and touch that IC pin, the reading should be 5V and will drop to 0V when pressing the switch.

If the IC itself is bad, I can send him a replacement once we know more.   The normally-closed switch that Jim mentioned (thanks, Jim!) may be the most likely source of trouble.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:43 PM AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:
GE Everyone,
I received this email today. Any suggestions for William?

72 - Ron - AG1P
4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

-----Original Message-----
From: William Cummins [mailto:nq2drex@...]
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2020 2:38 PM
To: ag1p@...
Subject: hilltopper 20

finished the hilltopper 20, but the function switch (sw1) dosen't do
anything....everything else works....but no frec read out, no switching
of keyer oparity .in short nothing happens when sw1 is pushed...checked
all solder joints ,and double checked everything...could it be the U5
ic??..also did a hilltopper 40....it works great!!! thank
you.....William KB4TOX