Re: Problems, now that the radio is completed

Wayne Dillon <wayne.dillon@...>

Good morning Charles,
Be interested to know what the solution was.
Be blessed,
Wayne - NQ0RP

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:
I have solved problems 1 & 2.  The BFO now centers at exactly 600 Hz, and the frequency is close enough for government work.  Other questions remain, but the biggest problems are solved.

72,

Charles

On Apr 11, 2018, at 8:30 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

First, the radio sounds great and it seems to put out at least 5 watts, but there are a few problems I have encountered.

  1. After trying to match the frequency with the Cal jumper in place, the radio is again off frequency after I power cycle it. (about 1.2 KHz high - I can live with that.)
  2. The BFO is about 400 Hz too high (or 600 if the goal is a BFO frequency of 800 Hz.)  My KX2 is set at 600 Hz which appears to be around the peak of the passband on the Hilltopper.  If I try to adjust further, the BFO frequency merely starts to climb higher, and farther away from the desired frequency.  The trimmer cap I think was all the way down tight.  Which way does the trimmer go?  Increase or decrease capacitance?
  3. The gain control doesn't seem to do much.  That may have to do with proximity to the transmitter, but it seems it should do something.
  4. If you overload the front end of the receiver, it throws it into wild oscillation in the ear buds. OUCH!
  5. I am useless with iambic mode A. I simply can't use it after 35 years of iambic mode B and self-completing characters. Is there a way to permanently set the radio for straight key use? (Maybe short the outer ring to ground?)  Because of my other radios I do not have the ring connected (Elecrafts don't like it, except the K2.)
At a minimum, I must get the BFO frequency in the right place to try it in the field.

One more thing - how tolerant is the final to bone headed accidental keying without a load?  Haven't blown anything yet, but not wanting to do so either!

Oh great gurus of the Hilltopper, where should I go first?

72,

Charles

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.