Topics

Hilltopper tales?

Curt
 

I have been having fun with the Hilltopper 20, making contacts in US out to 1600 miles (CA).  No DX yet but cant wait for the CQWW 'test n Nov.

What are your Hilltopper stories?

Curt KB5JO

K7AHR
 

I've been operating temporary mountain-top stations for SOTA, and using the Hilltopper 20 has made that delightful. I have made a few 2000-mile contacts, to Mississippi and so on, and a collection of 1000+ mile summit-to-summit contacts. I worked Alberta from a mountain near Olympia, WA, and I held a wire on a mast out my 8th floor window and worked DX to Alaska at 1500 miles.

 

Incidentally, while practicing on Sunday, I did something and I think blew out the audio op-amp, so now my radio is temporarily out of commission.

Jim Pruitt
 

Hello Andrew.

Did you replace that stock NE5532 audio amp ic with K1SWL's suggested 4556 yet?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 9/10/2019 9:21 AM, K7AHR wrote:
Incidentally, while practicing on Sunday, I did something and I think blew out the audio op-amp, so now my radio is temporarily out of commission.

K7AHR
 

No, I hadn't gotten around to looking that up, and since I'm pretty sure I fried the 5532, maybe I'll just go buy myself a 4556 to replace it. Do you have a link to the whole set of audio upgrade suggestions? It looks like a few resistor and other component changes could boost the gain, and I'm frequently working weak signals so I would benefit a lot from that.

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII
 

On Sep 10, 2019, at 2:56 PM, K7AHR <therealmarauder@...> wrote:

No, I hadn't gotten around to looking that up, and since I'm pretty sure I fried the 5532, maybe I'll just go buy myself a 4556 to replace it. Do you have a link to the whole set of audio upgrade suggestions? It looks like a few resistor and other component changes could boost the gain, and I'm frequently working weak signals so I would benefit a lot from that.
_

Curt
 

Got the HT20 out again today and added NH to list of states worked with the HT20 into an 80M dipole.  Total is 20 states, 4 provinces (including YT), 11 DX entities.

Curt KB5JO

Charles W. Powell
 

Nice work.  Great little radio.

72,

Charles - NK8O

On Jan 28, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Curt via Groups.Io <rhulett1@...> wrote:

Got the HT20 out again today and added NH to list of states worked with the HT20 into an 80M dipole.  Total is 20 states, 4 provinces (including YT), 11 DX entities.

Curt KB5JO

 

Too nice to stay indoors today during the 7QP event. Setup out on the deck
in the backyard, HT20, T1 tuner & a 43ft wire suspended from a spiderbeam
mast. Lotta fun, HT20 was singing cw rite along among the contesters.
Love that HT20 ! 73 de AL7JK, John

Colin Evans M1BUU
 

My Hilltop(per) tale comes from way back in April 2017.

I'd just finished building my Hilltop 20 and took it on it's first SOTA outing. I had climbed Red Screes, a SOTA qualifying summit in the English Lake District. (SOTA ref G/LD-017).

My first QSO was with KA1R in Massachusetts. N1EU was next in the log from near Albany, NY. N4EX in North Carolina rounded up the trilogy of transatlantic contacts. I was quite pleased as I had put a lot of effort into building the rig.

I'm looking at revisiting this rig to update the firmware with the Hilltopper sketch from the group files. I need to check pin assignment etc.

73, Colin

On Sun, 3 May 2020, 05:06 John, <AL7JK.John@...> wrote:
Too nice to stay indoors today during the 7QP event. Setup out on the deck
in the backyard, HT20, T1 tuner & a 43ft wire suspended from a spiderbeam
mast. Lotta fun, HT20 was singing cw rite along among the contesters.
Love that HT20 ! 73 de AL7JK, John