Topics

Compiling firmware round II

Charles W. Powell

Well, installing my newly programmed chip was a spectacular failure.  I tried to change the following parameters: Side tone, offset, and timeout for tuning.  I ended up 50 KHz off frequency on transmit, and I have no idea where the radio was receiving.  I couldn't *find* where it was receiving.  Presumably, one of two things happened.  Either I messed up some parameter that I didn't intend to change, or I the ATmega328p changed something I don't understand.  I think the former is much more likely.

Any thoughts?

72,

Charles - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

My transmit and receive are 20 KHz apart.  Transmit is 20 KHz lower than receive!

Charles - NK8O

On Jul 17, 2018, at 8:57 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Well, installing my newly programmed chip was a spectacular failure.  I tried to change the following parameters: Side tone, offset, and timeout for tuning.  I ended up 50 KHz off frequency on transmit, and I have no idea where the radio was receiving.  I couldn't *find* where it was receiving.  Presumably, one of two things happened.  Either I messed up some parameter that I didn't intend to change, or I the ATmega328p changed something I don't understand.  I think the former is much more likely.

Any thoughts?

72,

Charles - NK8O

Martin Kramer

Did you have done some changes of the "IFfreq" ?

long int IFfreq =  518515000; // 5185.15 kHz.  This is the
// filter passband center- not the BFO frequency.

This can be explain this offset.

Vy 73 Martin DH3FR

Dave Benson

Charles-

The frequency resolution for the Si5351 is .01 Hz. You might want to doublecheck that you have the right number of zeroes in the frequency declaration.

Also verify the value of 'IFfreq' -  it should be 518500000, if I remember correctly.    You also want to make sure RIT is turned off- the firmware does not place a limit on its offset.

73 -Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:
Well, installing my newly programmed chip was a spectacular failure.  I tried to change the following parameters: Side tone, offset, and timeout for tuning.  I ended up 50 KHz off frequency on transmit, and I have no idea where the radio was receiving.  I couldn't *find* where it was receiving.  Presumably, one of two things happened.  Either I messed up some parameter that I didn't intend to change, or I the ATmega328p changed something I don't understand.  I think the former is much more likely.

Any thoughts?

72,

Charles - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

Is there a way to reset the ATmega328p entirely to defaults?  Interesting experiment.  I got brave and re-programmed my working chip for 600 Hz sidetone, which seems to work perfectly.  I did NOT have to reset my keyer selection nor retune the radio. If I plug in the errant chip, it retains the 20 KHz transmit/receive difference, even after re-flashing the chip.

Also, I purchased two chips from Digikey that were supposed to have the bootloader installed, and neither of them would load anything when I plug them into the Arduino board!  Pretty sure I ordered them from a link you gave me at one point, Dave.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On Jul 18, 2018, at 7:11 AM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

[...]

Are they the '328P-PU or the '328-PU'?  They need to be the former.

73- Dave

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:
[...]

328P-PU, or so the packaging says.  The actual chips say 328P-U.  Hmmmmmm.

Charles - NK8O

On Jul 19, 2018, at 5:31 AM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

[...]

So the problem was with Mouser filling the order.  They indeed sent me the 328PU, even though the order was labeled correctly, instead of the 328P-PU, and they are making it right.  They will send out replacement chips.

72,

Charles - NK8O