Topics

CQ WW this weekend. Fire up the HT-20s n 40s

Curt

Am going to see what can do with CQ WW DX 'test this weekend.  Historically they all listening hard for QRP n QRPp.

Charles W. Powell

Go for it!  I wish I could try it out but I’m on call all weekend.

On Nov 22, 2019, at 3:53 PM, Curt via Groups.Io <rhulett1@...> wrote:

Am going to see what can do with CQ WW DX 'test this weekend.  Historically they all listening hard for QRP n QRPp.

Curt

In one hour, France, Italy, Germany with 5W to a dipole from the HT20.  Out to 5700 miles.

Charles W. Powell

Well done, Curt

On Nov 23, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Curt via Groups.Io wrote:

In one hour, France, Italy, Germany with 5W to a dipole from the HT20.  Out to 5700 miles.

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Thanks for the kick in the pants -- I finally (finally!) aligned and buttoned up my HT20 after the firmware update, and made a contact! Alberta isn't as exotic as Europe, but hey it's a start :-)

On Nov 23, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Well done, Curt

On Nov 23, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Curt via Groups.Io wrote:

In one hour, France, Italy, Germany with 5W to a dipole from the HT20. Out to 5700 miles.

Curt

Actually VE6 pretty exotic with QRP.  From here it is 1800 miles.  Kinda hard to get attention among the big guns on 20M during CQ WW.  Sunday ought to get better as folks strain for the rare ones. Up to 7 DXCC entities here so far. QC, ON, AB too

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Okay - thanks! VE6BBP is 1400 miles from here. Look at me taking 5w for granted - shame on me!

--
Jeff N0̸MII

Charles W. Powell

My HT-20 netted Azores, 3750 miles, and Hawaii, 3550 miles from my NE QTH last week on the same day. Not bad for 5 watts and zero sunspots. QRP works.

On Nov 23, 2019, at 2:47 PM, Curt via Groups.Io wrote:

Actually VE6 pretty exotic with QRP. From here it is 1800 miles. Kinda hard to get attention among the big guns on 20M during CQ WW. Sunday ought to get better as folks strain for the rare ones. Up to 7 DXCC entities here so far. QC, ON, AB too

--
Jeff N0̸MII

Curt

Just worked Finland, then VY1AAA, Yukon stns not too common. 2800 miles

Curt

Ended up with 13 entities, 19 QSOs.  Enough is enough, like continuous pileup.  Antenna 150' doublet up 50'.  Seemed propagation wasn't as good as previous years.

Best DX was Japan, 6700 miles from me.  I had one QSO with VY1AAA which wonder if was legit, because recall reading the station at VY1JA was being dismantled after Sweepstakes.

Wish the HT passband was somewhat tighter, and ability to move frequency faster would be great too.  But in general the radio was a lot of fun to use.  It is my favorite 20M single band QRP radio.

I look forward to CQ WW DX 'test every November to give latest QRP/QRPp radio a workout.

72 Curt KB5JO

Charles W. Powell

Curt,

If you really want to use the radio for contesting and change bands quickly, the serial mod that was written and posted allows you to change the frequency by direct entry with your logging software.  I found the KX2/KX3 setting and 9600 baud serial port rate worked perfectly with the Hilltopper. Frequency changes become a matter of “type and go.”.

On Nov 24, 2019, at 4:30 PM, Curt via Groups.Io wrote:

Ended up with 13 entities, 19 QSOs.  Enough is enough, like continuous pileup.  Antenna 150' doublet up 50'.  Seemed propagation wasn't as good as previous years.

Best DX was Japan, 6700 miles from me.  I had one QSO with VY1AAA which wonder if was legit, because recall reading the station at VY1JA was being dismantled after Sweepstakes.

Wish the HT passband was somewhat tighter, and ability to move frequency faster would be great too.  But in general the radio was a lot of fun to use.  It is my favorite 20M single band QRP radio.

I look forward to CQ WW DX 'test every November to give latest QRP/QRPp radio a workout.

72 Curt KB5JO
_._,_._,_

Curt

Confirmed that VY1AAA contact indeed was legitimate, which makes me happy.  YT QSOs will become scarce now that VY1JA is QRT.