From: KW4JS <johnmichaelstooksbury@...>
To: HilltopperKit <HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Nov 3, 2018 9:23 am
Subject: [HilltopperKit] Function Switch NC or NO?

I am calibrating Hill Topper 40 this morning.  The unit sends a R? then B? then A and finally the frequency with the cal jumper installed or removed.  Upon examination it appears that the Function Switch (in the circuit) appears to be a NC switch.  According to the Schematic, the switch is drawn as NO.  I am going to remove the switch to see if this cures the problem.  The Cal worked properly but the receiver will not tune after the cal jumper is removed and re-powered up.   Just wondering if anyone in the group has seen this issue.

Thank You
John KW4JS

KW4JS

Bob,
With the function switched depressed constantly, I get the proper responses.  I can tune around the band. I get the proper power-up response ( frequency ID). I can now transmit.  Thank you for saving me the labor of pulling that blasted thing out just to troubleshoot the issue.

John, KW4JS

Bob Zolecki

Hi John

No Problem....I hope the check is in the mail.....HAHAHAHA

With the function switched depressed constantly, I get the proper responses.  I can tune around the band. I get the proper power-up response ( frequency ID). I can now transmit.  Thank you for saving me the labor of pulling that blasted thing out just to troubleshoot the issue.

John, KW4JS

Dave Benson

John-

There was an issue with that switch in the initial run of kits- they were normally-closed instead of the necessary normally-open Those were Hilltopper 20s, though, and the problem should have been fixed.  It sounds like one- or more- of them crept into the recent kit production.

Jim- can you pull one from your stock and verify that the switch is normally open?

73- Dave, K1SWL