Topics

Ham Radio Deluxe interface

WA4EFS

This is sort of crazy but it is all in fun. I connected the Hilltopper 20 with Ham Radio Deluxe using CAT.  HRD’s VFO-A displays or adjusts the frequency and its VFO-B reflects or adjusts Hilltopper R.I.T.

Video demo: http://lloydm.net/Demos/videos/Hilltopper-HRD-CAT.mp4

It is a minimal interface where the modified Hilltopper sketch (will share on request) partly implements 4 CAT commands.

-Lloyd (WA4EFS)

Charles W. Powell

Absolutely brilliant, Lloyd.  Please send along the necessary additions to me.  I certainly see this being my next modification.  I’m sure glad there are guys with these programming skills.  I certainly do not possess them.  I will let you know if this works with my Mac and RumlogNG.   I guess the next crazy mod would be to get the radio to key using the computer interface!

On Feb 25, 2019, at 10:36 AM, WA4EFS <himself@...> wrote:

This is sort of crazy but it is all in fun. I connected the Hilltopper 20 with Ham Radio Deluxe using CAT.  HRD’s VFO-A displays or adjusts the frequency and its VFO-B reflects or adjusts Hilltopper R.I.T.

It is a minimal interface where the modified Hilltopper sketch (will share on request) partly implements 4 CAT commands.

-Lloyd (WA4EFS)

Dave Benson

Lloyd-

Congratulations- nice work!  I'll echo Charles' comments about software skills.  While I could probably tackle it, there'd certainly be frustrations along the way.  My hat's off to you!

-Dave, K1SWL

nk8o@...

On Feb 25, 2019, at 10:36 AM, WA4EFS <himself@...> wrote:

This is sort of crazy but it is all in fun. I connected the Hilltopper 20 with Ham Radio Deluxe using CAT.  HRD’s VFO-A displays or adjusts the frequency and its VFO-B reflects or adjusts Hilltopper R.I.T.

It is a minimal interface where the modified Hilltopper sketch (will share on request) partly implements 4 CAT commands.

-Lloyd (WA4EFS)

Johnny Matlock

Nice Work Lloyd!

Im planning on adding a display to mine after OZARKCON.
Im pretty tied up with last minute preparations!
again, excellent work.
72
Johnny AC0BQ

Charles W. Powell

Well Lloyd, I've discovered that the with RumLogNG (Mac OS X) that the cat control will only read if I constantly refresh the serial port.  BUT - if I set the radio as KX2, it not only updates but it is also instantaneous.  With the RIT engaged, the VFO 2 update is INSTANTANEOUS.   So again, your little bit of code is absolutely marvelous.

P.S., Yes.  72 is the QRP version of 73 - for those who want to give the very least!

Charles W. Powell

It even works to the point of taking input frequencies as well.  RumLogNG has a feature in which one can input the frequency in the “Call Sign” box and hit Enter.  It updates the frequency perfectly on the radio.  Kudos not only to Lloyd for a wonderful bit of code but also to Dave for a great radio design.

Chas - NK8O