Topics

Hilltopper40 receive problem

Ken Graham

In the first two weeks, my Hilltopper40 received fine, but then it began being slow to come up. The frequency readout would happen, but sometimes then there would be no receive sound for a minute, maybe 5 minutes, or now maybe 20 minutes. If I turn it back off, then on quickly, (or even not quickly) it will do it again (be slow). Once the receiver does come up, it will continue to work normally until I turn it off. Still sometimes (not often) it will come up normally. Needless to say this is frustrating. Anyone have any ideas? Operating voltage is 12v. Ken, k5id

Dave Benson

Ken-

It's probably a cold solder joint.

Since you mention that the frequency readout is OK, the final audio stage is working.

If you probe pin 2 on U3- the NE5532 audio amp-  you should hear a loud hum.  You probably won't, though. Measure the DC voltage on pins 1 and 2 of that IC to make sure they're in the 4V to 5V DC range.

If those readings are OK, you want to retouch the solder connections at both ends of R6 as well as all 3 pads for Q2.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 10:54 PM Ken Graham <k5id@...> wrote:
In the first two weeks, my Hilltopper40 received fine, but then it began being slow to come up. The frequency readout would happen, but sometimes then there would be no receive sound for a minute, maybe 5 minutes, or now maybe 20 minutes. If I turn it back off, then on quickly, (or even not quickly) it will do it again (be slow). Once the receiver does come up, it will continue to work normally until I turn it off. Still sometimes (not often) it will come up normally. Needless to say this is frustrating. Anyone have any ideas? Operating voltage is 12v.  Ken,  k5id

Ken Graham

Dave, you nailed it, cold solder joint on Q2. Thanks so much! 73 Ken

On Dec 23, 2018, at 8:51 AM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

Ken-

It's probably a cold solder joint._._,_

Dave Benson