From: "Curt via Groups.Io" <rhulett1@...>
Date: 8/18/19 12:27 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [HilltopperKit] Hilltopper 20 Kit Excellent quality!

Just want to thank whoever packs these kits with bagged assembly groups keyed to the instructions and the bom.  It makes assembly a real pleasure.  Someone spent a lot of time, effort, sweat thinking through and packaging this kit.  I am only on group 3, but the journey has been fun.  Any misnakes will be my fault :-o

Curt KB5JO

Curt

Yes, I got all of the parts and the mod descriptions from Dave when ordered the kit and have marked up the BOM and manual accounting for those.

Curt KB5JO

Leland L. Bahr

OK, Curt, you convinced me at our today's eyeball meeting.  I just ordered a Hilltopper 20.  Won't start it until I get my 40 meter Organic W8DIZ (Kits and Parts rig up and running.)  I still wish the Hilltopper keyer had a memory.  For me, it seems almost useless without it.  Most likely will use an outboard keyer with a memory so the internal one won't be used.  Why call CQ over and over again when a memory keyer with the CQ stored in it will do it for you.  Don't understand the reasoning for no memory when a chip costs around $5 with a memory.  Will also take your advice and use Vishey bypass caps.  (I threw the green ones away in the Organic 40 and used good quality Vishey there too.)  Other then that, I am looking forward to getting a Hilltopper 20 on the air.

Lee, w0vt, w5drc

On 8/18/2019 12:27 PM, Curt via Groups.Io wrote:
Just want to thank whoever packs these kits with bagged assembly groups keyed to the instructions and the bom.  It makes assembly a real pleasure.  Someone spent a lot of time, effort, sweat thinking through and packaging this kit.  I am only on group 3, but the journey has been fun.  Any misnakes will be my fault :-o

Curt KB5JO

Charles W. Powell

Lee,

With the serial mods you can use your favorite logging program to send CQ and follow QRG plus RIT.  May not work for you for portable, but I almost always take my computer anyway.

Greetings from Zurich!

On Aug 23, 2019, at 5:04 AM, Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

[...]

Serial mods?  Where would those be detailed?  Also, I have found nothing describing any keyer functions programmed into the ATMEL.

Curt KB5JO

Dave Benson

Lee-

The Hilltopper microcontroller IC runs ~ $1.80 in quantities of 100.  That's the 'raw' IC, and I installed the Arduino bootloader to keep the cost down.

That said,  'project fatigue' had set in by the time I wrapped up the Hilltopper firmware.  Getting iambic mode B right cost me a few grew hairs, and I'd had enough.  As a practical matter, it's possible that adding a message memory would require an additional pushbutton input to trigger a message playback.  Certainly do-able, but with impacts to both the PCB and enclosure layouts.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:04 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

[...]

I was using the computer to trigger the keyer, so the memory function comes from the computer not the ATMEL 328PU.  But a small outboard chip might be a more elegant solution and they are only a few bucks.

Chas - NK8O

On Aug 23, 2019, at 12:47 PM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

[...]

WA4EFS

Not sure that I fully understand the problem being discussed, but here goes. If you need to store a large volume of constant data, i.e. more than can be accommodated in Atmel 328 PU SRAM with stability, you might consider using:  https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/variables/utilities/progmem/.

Lloyd (wa4efs)