Topics

Hilltopper 30m

Charles W. Powell

I have all but completed my Hilltopper 30 modification.  I ran into a small snag, but it was a great learning experience for me.  I had no audio in the earbuds, so I set out to troubleshoot the radio.  Transmit worked (after I soldered a couple of connections I missed - OOPS!) and I have exactly 3 watts out.  (my HT-40 puts out 5.9 watts ant the HT-20 puts out 5.8 watts).  The signal appears very clean on the scope.

The problem was in the transmit mute circuit.  Apparently I had a rare BS-170 that was bad.  It appears to have an internal short.  Nonetheless, it made me THINK to figure out the problem, with a little help from some friends and of course, from Dave Benson.  I also made some comparisons to the innards of my HT-20 and that helped me really solidify the source of the problem.  Next will come the addition of a display on the 30m version.  There will be some scope photos in the appropriate place on the site.

Chas - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

My Hilltopper 30 is now functional. A defective BS170 is now replaced.  I take absolutely no credit for any of the modifications, other than the actual build.  So here's what I have:
  • Hilltopper 40 modified for 30 meter, range 10100 to 10135 kHz
  • Power output 3.1 watts into 50 ohms
  • 2x16 LCD display
  • Custom mods include: 600 Hz offset and sidetone, 10 second timeout for tuning and alignment instead of 5 seconds, frequency step 500 Hz, 100 Hz, and 10 Hz with "beeps" to announce the step level (reads incorrectly as 20 Hz on the screen but increments at 10 Hz with the tuning encoder)
Proposed modification:
  • Swap out audio op-amp to another with about double the dynamic range to get rid of overload squealing feedback condition and improve audio level on weak signals
  • Custom cover that incorporates the display

This has been a great learning experience for me, especially the trouble shooting.  With special thanks to Dave Benson, K1SWL, and Bernie Nazari, K6NAZ for their patience and help with figuring this little radio out and solving the component problem I had with it.  Once again thanks to Dave, and to Jim Pruitt, WA7DUY, for supplying odds and ends to speed this project along.  

Chas - NK8O

WA4EFS

Search for this line near the bottom of the sketch –

case 4  : sStep = " 20"; break;

Change " 20" to " 10" and recompile/load.  Note there is a space before the number within quotes.

-Lloyd

From: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:21 PM
To: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HilltopperKit] Hilltopper 30m

My Hilltopper 30 is now functional. A defective BS170 is now replaced.  I take absolutely no credit for any of the modifications, other than the actual build.  So here's what I have:

• 2x16 LCD display
  • Custom mods include: 600 Hz offset and sidetone, 10 second timeout for tuning and alignment instead of 5 seconds, frequency step 500 Hz, 100 Hz, and 10 Hz with "beeps" to announce the step level (reads incorrectly as 20 Hz on the screen but increments at 10 Hz with the tuning encoder)

Proposed modification:

• Swap out audio op-amp to another with about double the dynamic range to get rid of overload squealing feedback condition and improve audio level on weak signals

This has been a great learning experience for me, especially the trouble shooting.  With special thanks to Dave Benson, K1SWL, and Bernie Nazari, K6NAZ for their patience and help with figuring this little radio out and solving the component problem I had with it.  Once again thanks to Dave, and to Jim Pruitt, WA7DUY, for supplying odds and ends to speed this project along.  

Chas - NK8O

Dave Benson

Chas-

Nice going!

I have a 1602 LCD and backpack on order- arriving later today.  I need to see for myself whether it'll fit on a top cover without interference issues. Fingers crossed!

Failing that, there's a NewHaven Display LCD with I2C capability built in- no backpack.
Their # NHD-0216K3Z-NS(RGB)-FBW-V3 is an example. Its depth below the panel is 5 mm plus any necessary spacers. The only issue I see is a specified max clock rate of 50 kHz.  The Arduino code appears to run at twice that, but dropping the clock to 8 Mhz would take care of that if need be.  It's more expensive, of  course.

Dave, K1SWL

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 9:21 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My Hilltopper 30 is now functional. A defective BS170 is now replaced.  I take absolutely no credit for any of the modifications, other than the actual build.  So here's what I have:
  • 2x16 LCD display
Proposed modification:

This has been a great learning experience for me, especially the trouble shooting.  With special thanks to Dave Benson, K1SWL, and Bernie Nazari, K6NAZ for their patience and help with figuring this little radio out and solving the component problem I had with it.  Once again thanks to Dave, and to Jim Pruitt, WA7DUY, for supplying odds and ends to speed this project along.  

Chas - NK8O

Johnny Matlock

Nice work guys!
I’m very impressed with the 30 meter conversion, as well as the addition of the display!
Thanks for sharing.
Johnny AC0BQ 
--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Charles W. Powell

Thanks Lloyd.  I found it quickly and I will upload later today.   I should be able to actually get the radio on the air today!  

Chas - NK8O

On Feb 15, 2019, at 5:12 AM, WA4EFS <himself@...> wrote:

Search for this line near the bottom of the sketch –

case 4  : sStep = " 20"; break;

Change " 20" to " 10" and recompile/load.  Note there is a space before the number within quotes.

-Lloyd

From: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:21 PM
To: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HilltopperKit] Hilltopper 30m

• 2x16 LCD display
Proposed modification:

Chas - NK8O