Topics

Hilltopper 40

Dave Benson

(you read that right)

I used my Hilltopper 40 in yesterday's NA CW activity to the tune of 42 QSOs.   That was with the low ground-plane antenna and a 1.3 AH Li-Ion battery.  What a hoot!   73-  Dave, K1SWL

Charles W. Powell

So what about a 30 meter option?  I don’t need another 40 meter radio but I could use something on 30, and another fellow also asked me if it were going to be available for 30m.

72,

Chares

On Aug 5, 2018, at 6:15 AM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

(you read that right)

I used my Hilltopper 40 in yesterday's NA CW activity to the tune of 42 QSOs.   That was with the low ground-plane antenna and a 1.3 AH Li-Ion battery.  What a hoot!   73-  Dave, K1SWL

Dave Benson

Charles-

Thanks for your input!

Only time will tell.  It's easy from a technical standpoint, but it's up to the club to decide on additional bands.

73-  Dave, K1SWL

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:
So what about a 30 meter option?  I don’t need another 40 meter radio but I could use something on 30, and another fellow also asked me if it were going to be available for 30m.

72,

Chares

On Aug 5, 2018, at 6:15 AM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

(you read that right)

I used my Hilltopper 40 in yesterday's NA CW activity to the tune of 42 QSOs.   That was with the low ground-plane antenna and a 1.3 AH Li-Ion battery.  What a hoot!   73-  Dave, K1SWL

Ken Graham

I for one would love to see the hilltopper on 40! Regards, 72 Ken k5id

Dave Benson

Ken-

The 40M version is happening. I'm just the designer- and chief propagandist <g> - but 4SQRP is moving ahead with it.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:52 PM, Ken Graham <k5id@...> wrote:
I for one would love to see the hilltopper on 40! Regards, 72 Ken  k5id

John T. Fitzer

GREAT!!! The hill topper 20 is a wonderful rig, and 20 meters is a good band for portable operation from a park. I use a flag pole holder that I secure to the picnic table using a C clamp. I use a 31 ft. Sotabeams pole to support a 31 ft. wire vertical and feed it via the 4states tuner. Works great. I love 40, but the park police don’t want anything in the trees, God knows you could harm a leaf. It sure is funny, they are not accommodating to hams when things are working, but when everything goes to hell boy do they cry for help. I remember that during the tornadoes of 2011 in Huntsville, it was the hams that provided ALL of the emergency communications. This included the local police and fire repeaters that were designed and installed by the pros and went down while the ham repeaters remained operational. Kind of like the Ark and the Titanic. Anyway all that being said I would be very interested in a Hill topper 40, and would be happy to pay in advance and get my name on the list. Ditto this for a Hill topper 30 should it become a reality also. On the topic of sun spots, I’ve been licensed for 50 years and have seen this show before. Don’t give up hope, The sun spots will return, conditions will get better and the sun will keep on doing what it has been doing. There is life after a solar minimum.