Topics

Hilltopper 40 problem....HELP!!

jrdock@ckt.net

I just finished my HT 40 and was starting the alignment process.  This is my second build of a HT and my first HT20 was a text book build with no problems.  When I plugged in the power the only thing I heard in the head phones was the noise the power being applied.  The expected CW was not there.  I have checked for bridges and solder whiskers and retouched all joints.  All ICs are installed in the right direction with all feet in there sockets. I tried holding down the mode switch while applying power and it didn’t help so the switch is ok.  The only test equipment that I have is a Fluke 87 multimeter and a scope that I really don’t know how to use.  I have a few pin voltage readings based on Larry Draughn experience with his HT30 in June of 2018.  With 12.16V dc power applied the pin voltages the ATmega328P are pin 28 ..2.431V at pin 27 ..0.678V and these voltages do not change when the rotary encoder is turned.  At pin 7 the voltage is 4.57V.  There is no side tone and no output when the transmitter is keyed and no receive when not keyed. Suggestions on what to do next.
TNX guys.      Jack  WD0CFH

Dave Benson

Jack-

It sounds like the ATmega328P isn't starting up. The first thing you can try is to retouch the solder connections to the 16 MHz crystal alongside that device.  Also-  retouch the connections on the pair of 22 pF caps on either side of that crystal.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 2:51 PM jrdock@... <jrdock@...> wrote:
[...]

First off, TNX for picking up my post Dave.  I retouched the items u suggested but no improvements, however, when I inadvertently moved my IPad close to the radio it picked up a steady “ticking” sound from the IPad.  This may mean something to u.

jrdock@ckt.net

Dave-
I have a ATmega328P in my HT20 that is working perfectly.  I could take it out and put it in the 40 to see if that is the problem.  Good idea or Bad?  The 40 was the last kit that you had at OzarkCon last year and I got it.
Jack ... WD0CFH

jrdock@ckt.net

Sorry, the 20 was the last kit that you had at OzarkCon last year and I got it.

Dave Benson

Jack-

That seems like a good idea- go for it!

- Dave