Topics

ADV: Re: ADV: Re: ADV: Re: ADV: Re: [HilltopperKit] Hilltopper 40 problem....HELP!!

jrdock@ckt.net

I think you are right Jim.  It just bothered me that I had looked at it for several weeks and never really looked at it!  Took me about a half hour to get that little jewel out.  Used a bamboo skewer to walk it out.  Heat one side then the other till it came off then cleaned the holes turned it over and resoldered it.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Pro

Jack R. Dock ... How about we give GOD a reason to continue blessing America?  In defense of America I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

On Feb 27, 2019, at 7:12 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Easy to do Jack.  I recently built an audio pre-amp that I put one of the ICs in the wrong place.  Managed to get it out cleanly with a lot of patience but it wasn’t something that was going to be chalked up to a cheap mistake.  Darned thing cost too much for that.  I bet there’s not a builder here that hasn’t put something in the wrong spot, upside down, backward, or what-have-you.  Well, 95%.  The other 5% aren’t telling the truth?

On Feb 27, 2019, at 5:30 PM, jrdock@... wrote:

OK Jim here goes .... I had been looking at this thing for 3 weeks trying to see what was wrong.  We had our builders club meeting and Joe (W0MQY) was working on his HT-40 so Bill (WB0LXZ) offered to help me trouble shoot.  Bill wasn’t really all that familiar with the kit but was very good with schematics.  We checked all of the voltages and so on and everything was checking out but it still wouldn’t work.  Gave up for the evening and a couple of days later I was talking to Joe and he said his 40 was working great.  He offered to take a look at mine and see what he could do with the scope.  I said I would be right over, warm up the scope.  Got over there and he took one look at the board and he said “I know what’s wrong with it”.  I said “ how’s that?”  He said “you’re Si5351 board Is is upside down”.
Moral of the story, Always read the directions even if you have built one before that works and a fresh pair of eyes never hurts.  Never get to old to learn.
So if someone tells you all the voltages check on the schematic and all the parts are in the right place tell them to turn over the Si5351 board!  Hi Hi

Jack .... WD0CFH

Pro

Jack R. Dock ... How about we give GOD a reason to continue blessing America?  In defense of America I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

On Feb 27, 2019, at 2:31 PM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

Jack-

That's great news- thanks for letting us know!  I don't think either Jim Pruett or I will make Ozarkcon, so feel free to share anytime it's convenient.
.
73- Dave, K1SWL

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM jrdock@... <jrdock@...> wrote:
Good news Dave, got it fixed and every thing is working great.  Joe Porter (W0MQY) found the problem.  I will tell you what happened at OzarkCon ......🤫
Jack ... WD0CFH

Dave Benson

Jack-

That's the second upside-down Si5351 board I know of.  I fixed the first one, but I have to say- you did a better job on the rework than I did.

It's one of those things where the problem is glaringly obvious- AFTER it's pointed out to you.  I've embarked on a number of troubleshoots where I should have checked the simple things first!  Sometimes a case of  'it works better plugged in'.  I've learned to do a close visual inspection before firing up the test equipment. :-)

73 -Dave