Topics

Hilltopper 40m firmware

Martin Kramer

Hello group,

I had the Hilltopper-40_V2.0 firmware loaded on a second ATMEGA chip to experiment with my HT 40m. In TX or Calibration mode, the output frequency is 7.580 MHz, not the expected 7.030 MHz.
It is the original file that was downloaded here.
I can not find my mistake.
The original ATMEGA delivered with the kit ,works fine.
Can someone check that?

Many Thanks,

Martin DH3FR

WA4EFS

Martin,

I have about a dozen versions of the Hilltopper code. The attached file allows specifying the band (20, 30, 40) in a single line near the top. Band-specific constants are computed from this single specification and are therefore easy to find in this version.

In other versions, the sketch has been modified to support a limited CAT interface for tuning (and RIT offset tuning) using Ham Radio Deluxe, and/or for frequency display using an attached LCD or OLED device (described near the end of the page at http://lloydm.net/Demos/Hilltopper-20.html).  I am glad to share any of this.

-Lloyd

I had the Hilltopper-40_V2.0 firmware loaded on a second ATMEGA chip to experiment with my HT 40m. In TX or Calibration mode, the output frequency is 7.580 MHz, not the expected 7.030 MHz.
It is the original file that was downloaded here.

I can not find my mistake.

The original ATMEGA delivered with the kit ,works fine.

Can someone check that?

Many Thanks,

Martin DH3FR

Charles W. Powell

Martin,

I don’t have a “fix” for this, but I had that happen with a chip I substituted, where the frequency was off by a considerable amount.  As I recall, I did not end up using that chip, but apparently there is a bit that is set that puts the frequency off by a substantial amount.

Of note, if you flash the original chip with new firmware after the initial configuration is set, all those settings will be saved (frequency correction, iambic A or B, and paddle reverse).

Dave, K1SWL, who wrote the original code may have a “quick” correction or be able to give you advice on this problem.

On May 29, 2019, at 3:01 AM, Martin Kramer via Groups.Io <ralf.martin.kramer@...> wrote:

Hello group,

I had the Hilltopper-40_V2.0 firmware loaded on a second ATMEGA chip to experiment with my HT 40m. In TX or Calibration mode, the output frequency is 7.580 MHz, not the expected 7.030 MHz.
It is the original file that was downloaded here.
I can not find my mistake.
The original ATMEGA delivered with the kit ,works fine.
Can someone check that?

Many Thanks,

Martin DH3FR

Dave Benson

I have to wonder if this is a configuration issue, either with the Arduino version or more likely, NT7S's library element.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 9:41 AM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help.
Today, I was back on my workbench with three new ATMEGAs ordered last week.
With the new chips, the frequency is now at 7,030 MHz.
I think that the old ATMEGA was somehow wrong.
Now all works fine.
Thanks again and best 73

Martin DH3FR

Charles W. Powell

That is good to know Martin.  Thank you for the update.