Topics

Hilltopper supply voltage specs

Curt

I am just curious about the supply voltage tolerance for the radio.   I am guessing 9V to 15V, with corresponding variation in output power.  Has anyone tested performance on voltages other than 12V?

72, Curt KB5JO

Charles W. Powell

5 watts at 13.2 volts.

72,

Charles - NK8O

On Aug 27, 2018, at 9:10 AM, Curt <rhulett1@...> wrote:

I am just curious about the supply voltage tolerance for the radio.   I am guessing 9V to 15V, with corresponding variation in output power.  Has anyone tested performance on voltages other than 12V?

72, Curt KB5JO

Curt

Was interested in performance at lower voltage, like 8, 9, 10 volts.  Other Weber transmitter strings would make 1W at 9V

73, Curt KB5JO

Charles W. Powell

Considering the fact that the transmit circuitry of the Hilltopper is nearly identical to QCX, the curve Hans Summers developed will be fairly closely:

  9V = 1.5W
10V = 2W
11V = 2.5W
12V = 3.2W
13V = 4W
14V = 4.8W
15V = 5.5W

My Hilltopper does a little better than that, and my QCX a little worse.  I don’t know whether Dave K1SWL did his own voltage vs. output curves, but I bet it is pretty close.

On Aug 27, 2018, at 7:45 PM, Curt <rhulett1@...> wrote:

Was interested in performance at lower voltage, like 8, 9, 10 volts.  Other Weber transmitter strings would make 1W at 9V

73, Curt KB5JO

Leland L. Bahr

I asked Dave about that.  He told me the restraining part was the 16 volt electrolytic at the input line.  Put in a 25 volt one and you can put it a reasonable voltage.  I would suspect the next weak link would be the voltage regulator as it would have to dissipate more heat.

Lee