Topics

Hilltopper tales?

Curt

I have been having fun with the Hilltopper 20, making contacts in US out to 1600 miles (CA).  No DX yet but cant wait for the CQWW 'test n Nov.

What are your Hilltopper stories?

Curt KB5JO

K7AHR

I've been operating temporary mountain-top stations for SOTA, and using the Hilltopper 20 has made that delightful. I have made a few 2000-mile contacts, to Mississippi and so on, and a collection of 1000+ mile summit-to-summit contacts. I worked Alberta from a mountain near Olympia, WA, and I held a wire on a mast out my 8th floor window and worked DX to Alaska at 1500 miles.

Incidentally, while practicing on Sunday, I did something and I think blew out the audio op-amp, so now my radio is temporarily out of commission.

Jim Pruitt

Hello Andrew.

Did you replace that stock NE5532 audio amp ic with K1SWL's suggested 4556 yet?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 9/10/2019 9:21 AM, K7AHR wrote:
Incidentally, while practicing on Sunday, I did something and I think blew out the audio op-amp, so now my radio is temporarily out of commission.

K7AHR

No, I hadn't gotten around to looking that up, and since I'm pretty sure I fried the 5532, maybe I'll just go buy myself a 4556 to replace it. Do you have a link to the whole set of audio upgrade suggestions? It looks like a few resistor and other component changes could boost the gain, and I'm frequently working weak signals so I would benefit a lot from that.

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

_