Topics

HT20 - Nice Rig

StanWB2LQF

Just finished my HT20 a couple hours ago.  I presently do not have any other radio in the house so I couldn't make the initial adjustments.  In spite of this situation, I managed to make my first contact within 5 minutes of connecting my antenna - Spain. Then I tuned down to the low end of the band and heard VK2KM in Sydney - long path to NY.  He sounded real nice through this little HT20.  Pileup was too severe for me to try.

I've built five (5) QCX transceivers and they are also very, very nice radios but none of them put out 5 watts on a 12 volt battery - I measured 5.6 watts from my new HT20 using an Elecraft dummy load, my Fluke DMM and some arithmetic.

Think I better order the HT40 real soon.
72, Stan WB2LQF

Charles W. Powell

Congrats Stan.  Yes, the HTs put out over 5 watts for the most part.  I think my HT 20 put out 5.1 watts and the HT 40 put out 5.9 watts.  Or maybe it was the other way around.  That was measured with a scope into a dummy load.

You sound like me - I’ve built quite a few QCXs and just about to start on HT #4.  The difference between the QCX and the HT is that you can hack the Hilltopper, add a display, add CAT control, change the tuning step intervals, etc., or if you are clever enough, do whatever you like.  With the QCX, it is what it is and there’s not anything you are going to change.

On Apr 8, 2019, at 5:48 PM, StanWB2LQF <sjl219@...> wrote:

Just finished my HT20 a couple hours ago.  I presently do not have any other radio in the house so I couldn't make the initial adjustments.  In spite of this situation, I managed to make my first contact within 5 minutes of connecting my antenna - Spain. Then I tuned down to the low end of the band and heard VK2KM in Sydney - long path to NY.  He sounded real nice through this little HT20.  Pileup was too severe for me to try.

I've built five (5) QCX transceivers and they are also very, very nice radios but none of them put out 5 watts on a 12 volt battery - I measured 5.6 watts from my new HT20 using an Elecraft dummy load, my Fluke DMM and some arithmetic.

Think I better order the HT40 real soon.
72, Stan WB2LQF

StanWB2LQF

The QCX is remarkable for $49.  But five watts on 12 volts is my personal requirement for portable operations and this HT20 fills that need.  I don't yet know how the HT receiver compares to the QCX - but it certainly gave me a great introduction today.  I wish the HT had more volume and I noticed the gain control only really "works" toward the last third of its range, but I have about a half dozen small outboard audio amp kits laying around here somewhere so that will be my next project while I wait for my HT40  (;-)  73, Stan WB2LQF

On April 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM "Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io" <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Benson

Stan-

You're off to a good start- thanks for sharing that!

I'm in NH, so you and I would expect to see similar coverage.  I've made contacts as far away as Turkey and Alaska with my HT 20..... and Hawaii with the 40M version in last year's ARRL DX Test.   I'm fairly confident I'll work Japan with a Hilltopper at some point.

Have fun!   73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 6:48 PM StanWB2LQF <sjl219@...> wrote:
Just finished my HT20 a couple hours ago.  I presently do not have any other radio in the house so I couldn't make the initial adjustments.  In spite of this situation, I managed to make my first contact within 5 minutes of connecting my antenna - Spain. Then I tuned down to the low end of the band and heard VK2KM in Sydney - long path to NY.  He sounded real nice through this little HT20.  Pileup was too severe for me to try.

I've built five (5) QCX transceivers and they are also very, very nice radios but none of them put out 5 watts on a 12 volt battery - I measured 5.6 watts from my new HT20 using an Elecraft dummy load, my Fluke DMM and some arithmetic.

Think I better order the HT40 real soon.
72, Stan WB2LQF

Dave Benson

Stan-

I posted a set of easy Hilltopper mods here a couple weeks ago.  They bring the audio level up by 6dB, although I've tried 10 dB successfully as well. Perhaps the most significant change is in replacing the AF amp (an NE5532) with a different device.  Audio quality is much improved.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On April 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM "Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io" <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Leland Lannoye

What is a QCX rig?

[...]

Lee

https://qrp-labs.com/qcx.html

As our British friends would say, a clever bit of kit from Hans Summers, G0UPL………………….a couple a members of our local club have built them and have raved about the receiver side especially………………….

73 de Lee KX4TT

[...]

QCX is a radio designed by Hans Summers, G0UPL, and marketed through his company QRP-labs.  It is an innovative design with an I-Q quadrature/Taloe detector circuit.  Very high sensitivity on receive, with < 1 dB of loss in the front end of the radio.  Typically a superhet has something on the order of 3 dB or more of signal loss in the IF stage. Transmitter is similar to the Hilltopper, although supposedly class E.  Hilltopper is reported by Dave K1SWL (designer) to be class C.  In my experience, the Hilltoppers consistently put out more power than the QCX, using the same BS170 MOSFETs.  As noted, QCX is not readily hackable, whereas the Hilltopper code could be completely re-written if you were that ambitious.  Not to take a thing away from Hans Summers on a fine little radio, the Hilltopper has a fun factor that the QCX lacks.  It’s also quite a bit lighter than a QCX with its aluminum case.

On Apr 9, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Leland Lannoye <wa9aoe@...> wrote:

What is a QCX rig?