Topics

Inductors for Hilltopper 40 kit

Charles W. Powell

I am assembling my Hilltopper 40 kit.  The small inductors don't seem right.

L1 = Brown Black (black gold).  Alright for this one.
L2 = Blue Gray (per manual)  I have an inductor that orange orange gold gold - NOT EVEN CLOSE!
L3 & L4 = Brown Gray (black gold).  Since there are two of these and they are the same, I will assume they are correct.  Can't really tell they are Brown Gray.  More like brown/non-descrript!

So what about L2?  Was there a change?  Will this work, or do I need a replacement?

Jim Pruitt

Hello Chas.

Did I not put a parts list paper in each box?  There should have been a parts list (2 pages) from the Hilltopper40 manual and also a (2 or 3 page) spreadsheet printout  that told what I had put in each group bag.  Did I put a Hilltopper20 list in instead?

The fixed inductors should be:

L1        10 μH       RF choke      Brown-black-black-gold
L2       6.8 μH       RF choke      Blue-grey-gold-gold
L3, L4     18 μH RF choke         Brown-grey-black-gold

From your description it sounds like you have the right parts but let me know if something was wrong with the parts.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/3/2018 3:23 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io wrote:
I am assembling my Hilltopper 40 kit.  The small inductors don't seem right.

L1 = Brown Black (black gold).  Alright for this one.
L2 = Blue Gray (per manual)  I have an inductor that orange orange gold gold - NOT EVEN CLOSE!
L3 & L4 = Brown Gray (black gold).  Since there are two of these and they are the same, I will assume they are correct.  Can't really tell they are Brown Gray.  More like brown/non-descrript!

So what about L2?  Was there a change?  Will this work, or do I need a replacement?

Chas-

It sounds like you received a 3.3 uH inductor- meant for the 20M version- instead of the correct value.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 6:23 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am assembling my Hilltopper 40 kit.  The small inductors don't seem right.

L1 = Brown Black (black gold).  Alright for this one.
L2 = Blue Gray (per manual)  I have an inductor that orange orange gold gold - NOT EVEN CLOSE!
L3 & L4 = Brown Gray (black gold).  Since there are two of these and they are the same, I will assume they are correct.  Can't really tell they are Brown Gray.  More like brown/non-descrript!

So what about L2?  Was there a change?  Will this work, or do I need a replacement?

The parts list and the manual are correct, but the L2 is not in this kit.  I left that part off the board :-).  I have a 2nd kit and it appears to have the correct choke in it, so i will use that.  Guess I should see what I need for the 30 meter conversion.  That may be the right part for 30?  One thing at a time.  I don’t want to confuse the builds.

Thanks Dave.  I’m not losing my mind.  Well, I am, but that’s a different story all together.

Jim, could you send me L2?

On Dec 3, 2018, at 6:25 PM, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:

Chas-

It sounds like you received a 3.3 uH inductor- meant for the 20M version- instead of the correct value.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 6:23 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am assembling my Hilltopper 40 kit.  The small inductors don't seem right.

L1 = Brown Black (black gold).  Alright for this one.
L2 = Blue Gray (per manual)  I have an inductor that orange orange gold gold - NOT EVEN CLOSE!
L3 & L4 = Brown Gray (black gold).  Since there are two of these and they are the same, I will assume they are correct.  Can't really tell they are Brown Gray.  More like brown/non-descrript!

So what about L2?  Was there a change?  Will this work, or do I need a replacement?

Jim Pruitt

Hello Chas.

Yes,  I will get the correct L2 in the mail tomorrow.

Dave gave me the schematic for the 30 meter version which I posted to the files section of the group.  That schematic has the frequency dependent parts listed so it should be an easy mod.  The sketch is also there.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/3/2018 4:32 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Yes, thanks Jim.  I found them and downloaded everything.  I just haven’t looked at them yet.

On Dec 3, 2018, at 8:04 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't remember the values for 30M.  It's a 'losing one's mind' thing.

- Dave