Topics

J5 and J6 header strips are not provided in this kit

NV1F

Dear Hilltopper 40 Subgroup:

    I am a 78-year-old returning amateur licensee having lost my 1968
Extra-Class call (w1dh) earlier this year for failure to renew.  With
the assistance of ARRL VECs I was retested in March and am now licensed
as NV1F.

    Earlier this week I received my Hilltopper 40 kit and am starting
the build:

At page 6 of the rev. 16 April 2020 manual it states in red ink: "Please
note that the J5 and J6 header strips are not provided in this kit."
It continues in normal black ink: "See the "Files' section of the
subgroup for  more information."

     Please advise: (1) Where do I obtain the J5 & J6 header strips not
provided in this kit.."  What do header strips look like and where would
I obtain them, now that radio shack has closed and (2) how do I see "the
'Files' section of the subgroup for more information.

Regards, "Sparks", NV1F

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Hi Sparks, and welcome back to the Amateur ranks!

Re J5 and J6: they aren’t strictly needed, if you just want to get on the air and have CW QSOs. One header gives access to the I2C bus, and the other to the serial data lines (perhaps for in-circuit reprogramming of the CPU?). I venture to say that 99.95% of the Hilltoppers build don’t have those headers installed.

For now, keep soldering!

72,
Jeff N0̸MII

--
Jeff N0̸MII

Charles W. Powell

Dear Sparks,

First, congratulations on your return to the hobby.?? Second, the one set of "extra" pins is for serial port access and CAT/computer control, and the other is for a digital display.?? Both require re-flashing the chip to add the extra functions, and neither is necessary.?? The radio works quite well "right out of the box."?? I have built four of them and I have made the modifications, but I honestly just use them with the original case and no additions when I go out in the field with them.

On 9/5/20 3:03 PM, Jeff Logullo N0??MII wrote:
Hi Sparks, and welcome back to the Amateur ranks!

Re J5 and J6: they aren???t strictly needed, if you just want to get on the air and have CW QSOs. One header gives access to the I2C bus, and the other to the serial data lines (perhaps for in-circuit reprogramming of the CPU?). I venture to say that 99.95% of the Hilltoppers build don???t have those headers installed.

For now, keep soldering!

72,
Jeff N0??MII

On Sep 5, 2020, at 2:15 PM, NV1F <Giulietti@...> wrote:

Please advise: (1) Where do I obtain the J5 & J6 header strips not
provided in this kit.."

NV1F

Dear Jeff-n0MII:

   Thank you for the prompt response:  I'm taking your advise "For now,
[to] keep soldering" taking my time, but I am sure I'll have more
questions as I go.  Regards, Sparks, NV1F

On 9/5/2020 4:03 PM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII wrote:
Hi Sparks, and welcome back to the Amateur ranks!

Re J5 and J6: they aren’t strictly needed, if you just want to get on the air and have CW QSOs. One header gives access to the I2C bus, and the other to the serial data lines (perhaps for in-circuit reprogramming of the CPU?). I venture to say that 99.95% of the Hilltoppers build don’t have those headers installed.

For now, keep soldering!

72,
Jeff N0̸MII

On Sep 5, 2020, at 2:15 PM, NV1F <Giulietti@...> wrote:

Please advise: (1) Where do I obtain the J5 & J6 header strips not
provided in this kit.."

NV1F

Dear Chas - NK8O:

   Thanks for prompt response and the explanation.  I am sure I will
have more questions in the future.  Now---I just need to keep soldering,
taking my time to avoid mistakes, and "go out in the field" before the
snow flies. Regards, "Sparks" NV1F

On 9/5/2020 9:28 PM, Charles W. Powell via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Sparks,

How goes it with the Hilltopper?  My 20 meter unit puts out 6 watts and the 40 meter rig puts out 7 watts, measured with my scope.  I wish all the radios I built worked that well.