Topics

Kit completed

Troy G.

Well i got my kit yesterday and between last night and this morning i have completed it an done all the alignment procedures. This is a great kit with great instructions. Im only having one issue and it might just be me. I run around 15 wpm and when i key the radio it frequently drops a dit. Is there something wrong or is it just me not being very timed.

Thanks

Troy KF7SEY

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

Troy,

When you say it frequently drops a dit, do you mean as the end element in a character?
Sounds like a difference in using mode A and mode B.  Those that saw me at Pacificon
a decade ago with Ron Stark, KU7Y, giving a demo on running the ARRL CW SS contest
and someone gave me a keyer that had only mode A.  :-)

Try mode B and see what happens.  We all would like a report back on how you fair
between the two.

thanks,

chuck, k7qo

On 06/23/2018 03:01 PM, troysk8 wrote:
Well i got my kit yesterday and between last night and this morning i have completed it an done all the alignment procedures. This is a great kit with great instructions. Im only having one issue and it might just be me. I run around 15 wpm and when i key the radio it frequently drops a dit. Is there something wrong or is it just me not being very timed.

Thanks

Troy KF7SEY

Troy G.

Chuck,

When i send it miss a dit. lets say i send a K dah dit dah. It misses the dit and i get a dah dah.
I don’t understand the modes so i will have to read up on that.

Thanks,

Troy KF7SEY

On Jun 23, 2018, at 4:45 PM, chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...> wrote:

[...]

The modes have to do with what happens on the last element, not the middle.
Looks like you may the possibility of a dirty contact on the dit paddle (normally
the left paddle of the two).  How about sending an H, any dits drop?

chuck, k7qo

On 06/23/2018 07:41 PM, troysk8 wrote:
[...]

No drops on h or s or i. Paddle works fine on my main rig so i don't think its a dirty contact.

Troy KF7SEY

On Jun 23, 2018, at 7:43 PM, chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...> wrote:

[...]

Honestly i think its me. Tried another key. It still did it but it seams to be fine most the time. Im new at cw so im not perfect. I did make 2x contacts with it one in Pa. and one in Tx. Im in Oregon so I'm happy with that.
I will keep playing with it.

Thanks,

Troy KF7SEY

On Jun 23, 2018, at 7:45 PM, troysk8 <kf7sey@...> wrote:

[...]

I would recommend practicing on the letter N to get the dah to dit timing down.  It just takes time, like
learning any new skill set.

good luck,

chuck, k7qo

On 06/23/2018 08:01 PM, troysk8 wrote:
[...]

Well i found out it wasn’t me this morning. I upload the new code Dave posted in the file section. It works perfect now. No issue in mode A or B. If you are wondering how to upload the code and don’t have the pins in the rig for it. I had an extra Arduino Uno lying around. You can pull the chip out of it, put the one from the hilltopper in. Upload the code then put it back in the Hilltopper. So far i love it and cant wait to take it out portable.

Troy KF7SEY

On Jun 23, 2018, at 8:01 PM, troysk8 <kf7sey@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for letting us know.  It will save me, and probably a lot of other people,
a lot of time researching the problem.

Pretty sharp of Dave, K1SWL, in making the code available so that we can use
the Arduino boards to reload the software and not have to send chips back
and forth across the Universe to get them reprogrammed and waste a lot
of valuable time for Dave.  Thanks Dave.

chuck, k7qo

On 06/24/2018 08:10 AM, troysk8 wrote:
Well i found out it wasn’t me this morning. I upload the new code Dave posted in the file section. It works perfect now. No issue in mode A or B. If you are wondering how to upload the code and don’t have the pins in the rig for it. I had an extra Arduino Uno lying around. You can pull the chip out of it, put the one from the hilltopper in. Upload the code then put it back in the Hilltopper. So far i love it and cant wait to take it out portable.

Troy KF7SEY
...  snip  snip  ...

Dave Benson

Troy-

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure why mode A is now working better for you. Whatever the difference, it's something subtle. I did do a fair amount of firmware rework to support both modes, and it likely fixed an issue I hadn't noticed.

73- Dave, K1SWL