Topics

Serial LCD Mod

Dave Benson

hi folks-

Lloyd Milligan- WA4EFS- has added a Serial LCD to his Hilltopper.  He was kind enough to share a picture of his setup and modified source code for it. Thanks, Lloyd!

Files are attached.. I haven't had a chance to try the source code, as I don't have a 16x2 serial LCD...yet.

Hmmmm... I extracted the code and added it to my HT-30 code but it doesn't seem to work.  I show 4.5 volts on the two pins closest to the front, and I know my I2C display works, or at least lights up, with another experimental device.  But it won't light up up with the display I have and it seems to freeze up the processor.  Perhaps this device is incompatible?  I would be interested to find out from Lloyd what display he used.  Mine looks the same but it's sure not working!

Martin Kramer

Maybe you have an adapter that uses a different I2C address.
On the internet one writes that there are different adapters with different addresses.

That's the way it is with me right now and works.
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, COLS, ROWS);

Here is the modified code with the "other possible" I2C address.

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3f, COLS, ROWS);

73 Ralf-Martin

Charles W. Powell

I’ll look into that, but it bothers me that it won’t light up.  According to my voltage measurement, it should (and does with another device).  I’ll look into it some more.

72,

Chas -NK8O

On Feb 13, 2019, at 2:10 AM, Martin Kramer via Groups.Io <ralf.martin.kramer@...> wrote:

Maybe you have an adapter that uses a different I2C address.
On the internet one writes that there are different adapters with different addresses.

That's the way it is with me right now and works.
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, COLS, ROWS);

Here is the modified code with the "other possible" I2C address.

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3f, COLS, ROWS);

73 Ralf-Martin

WA4EFS