Topics

Serial LCD Mod

Dave Benson

hi folks-

Lloyd Milligan- WA4EFS- has added a Serial LCD to his Hilltopper.  He was kind enough to share a picture of his setup and modified source code for it. Thanks, Lloyd!

Files are attached.. I haven't had a chance to try the source code, as I don't have a 16x2 serial LCD...yet.

73- Dave, K1SWL

Charles W. Powell

Hmmmm... I extracted the code and added it to my HT-30 code but it doesn't seem to work.  I show 4.5 volts on the two pins closest to the front, and I know my I2C display works, or at least lights up, with another experimental device.  But it won't light up up with the display I have and it seems to freeze up the processor.  Perhaps this device is incompatible?  I would be interested to find out from Lloyd what display he used.  Mine looks the same but it's sure not working!

Chas - NK8O

Martin Kramer

Maybe you have an adapter that uses a different I2C address.
On the internet one writes that there are different adapters with different addresses.

That's the way it is with me right now and works.
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, COLS, ROWS);

Here is the modified code with the "other possible" I2C address.

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3f, COLS, ROWS);

73 Ralf-Martin

Charles W. Powell

I’ll look into that, but it bothers me that it won’t light up.  According to my voltage measurement, it should (and does with another device).  I’ll look into it some more.

Chas -NK8O

On Feb 13, 2019, at 2:10 AM, Martin Kramer via Groups.Io <ralf.martin.kramer@...> wrote:

Maybe you have an adapter that uses a different I2C address.
On the internet one writes that there are different adapters with different addresses.

That's the way it is with me right now and works.
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, COLS, ROWS);

Here is the modified code with the "other possible" I2C address.

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3f, COLS, ROWS);

73 Ralf-Martin

WA4EFS

Afterthought:

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:26 AM
To: 'HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io' <HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io>
Subject: RE: [HilltopperKit] Serial LCD Mod

Here is the back of the LCD that I used –

The light can be switched on/off via i2c and is turned on at initialization.

Best,

-Lloyd

From: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:05 AM
To: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HilltopperKit] Serial LCD Mod

Hmmmm... I extracted the code and added it to my HT-30 code but it doesn't seem to work.  I show 4.5 volts on the two pins closest to the front, and I know my I2C display works, or at least lights up, with another experimental device.  But it won't light up up with the display I have and it seems to freeze up the processor.  Perhaps this device is incompatible?  I would be interested to find out from Lloyd what display he used.  Mine looks the same but it's sure not working!

Chas - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

Well, progress.  I got the LCD to light up, but no data.  I’ll look through the code again and make sure I got everything into it. The wiring sequence was helpful.  I had it wrong before.  Wonder if I cooked the I2C bus?  I think I have a fresh unit that has never been out of the package that I can try.

Chas - NK8O

On Feb 13, 2019, at 7:46 AM, WA4EFS <himself@...> wrote:

Afterthought:
<image001.jpg>

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:26 AM
To: 'HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io' <HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io>
Subject: RE: [HilltopperKit] Serial LCD Mod

<image002.jpg>

Best,
-Lloyd

From: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:05 AM
To: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HilltopperKit] Serial LCD Mod

Chas - NK8O 

WA4EFS

Best,

-Lloyd

From: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:05 AM

Chas - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

Well Martin, BINGO!  We have liftoff!

I thought it hadn't worked but with the change and readjusting the contrast, there it is!

So I now have the *only* functional Hilltopper for 30 meters AND with a display to boot!

Chas - NK8O

Charles W. Powell

So I have decided that I would like to make my display outboard and pluggable.  If anyone has thoughts on a connector that wouldn't require hacking the board apart too much, let me know.  I considered a 3.5 mm plug and jack; the plugs are readily available, but a chassis jack to mount on the side of the radio is elusive.  I will mount the display in a separate enclosure.  This way, one can either use it or not, depending on the circumstances.  It also could be used interchangeably with any of my three Hilltoppers.

The other thought I had was adding to the display "RIT" that either reflects "off" or the ∆f when engaged.  Of course, that could take me days - or years - to figure out!

Chas - NK8O

WA4EFS

Instead of an enclosure-mounted connector I used a strip of ribbon cable (split from an old computer IDE cable) that fits between top and back with the top screwed on. Photo: http://lloydm.net/Demos/Hilltopper/LCD_mount.jpg. (Also, replaced my first straight-up test header with a right-angle header on the PCB end of the wire, routing the ribbon over the microcontroller before it turns out the back.)

I also considered a 0.96 inch square OLED in place of the LCD. It could almost surely be made to fit in the case. However, it was pointed out to me that such a tiny display demands good vision, and might not be bright enough for outdoor use. Anyway, to mount it neatly is beyond my skill level. Video demo: http://lloydm.net/Demos/Hilltopper/OLED-demo-raw.mp4.

Code modifications are different for the OLED. –Just thought of another possible advantage, though. The OLED display can accommodate more than two lines of text (RIT?)…  Of course the same could be done with a 4-line LCD.

Regards,

-Lloyd

PS: If anyone wants to experiment with a 0.96-inch OLED I will be glad to send sketch modifications for displaying the same data as the LCD displays.

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 10:19 PM

So I have decided that I would like to make my display outboard and pluggable.  If anyone has thoughts on a connector that wouldn't require hacking the board apart too much, let me know.  I considered a 3.5 mm plug and jack; the plugs are readily available, but a chassis jack to mount on the side of the radio is elusive.  I will mount the display in a separate enclosure.  This way, one can either use it or not, depending on the circumstances.  It also could be used interchangeably with any of my three Hilltoppers.

The other thought I had was adding to the display "RIT" that either reflects "off" or the ∆f when engaged.  Of course, that could take me days - or years - to figure out!

Chas - NK8O

Martin Kramer

Hello Lloyd,
I am very interested in the modified code.
It would be nice if you could provide it!

Thank you very much  & vy 73

Martin DH3FR

WA4EFS

Sent to your QRZ Email address.

-Lloyd

From: HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:HilltopperKit@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Martin Kramer via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 7:45 AM

Hello Lloyd,
I am very interested in the modified code.
It would be nice if you could provide it!

Thank you very much  & vy 73

Martin DH3FR