Re: No hiss from speaker

David Wilcox

I did the mods and the audio is much better, but what was the original problem with the radio if some had good results building it as instructed?  I would still like the LED to work as intended.  I took the rig home to fix the terrible audio and will mail it back to 11 y/o grand son.  Will have to write a new instruction manual as the audio is now wide open and he will have to learn to use the audio control as a RF control.

I am next going to add the turns on the coil as a strong station at 1310 khz wipes out the rest of the dial and there is a station at 1400 khz that I want to hear.

Did the beta builders have any trouble with performance?  Our original build sounded terrible.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Nov 23, 2018, at 2:40 PM, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:

Hi Dave...My two resistor mods will absolutely improve the performance of the Murania...The Changes to L1 and C9 are NOT necessary unless you're fussy like me about the frequency coverage...

Let me know if you have any questions about the mods but everyone so far that has used them have had great results with them...73 Jim WB2LHP

P.S. The Murania is my go-to AM radio, especially for late night DX'ing...It plays beautifully...

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 2:30 PM David Wilcox via Groups.Io <Djwilcox01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
 My 11 year old grandson and I had the same issue, no hiss and no hum. We finished the kit and it did work, however there’s a sufficient amount of audio distortion on the stronger stations. I’m going to try some of the listed mods next to see if we can get a bit less distortion  and make it a little easier on the ears.

 We could hear three strong stations here in Marion, Indiana.

 What a fun kit. I pre-built the case and the antenna coil as that might’ve been a little too much for an 11-year-old. He is now getting confident enough to hold both the soldering iron and the solder. In the past I would hold the soldering iron and he would apply the solder.  He is learning how to identify the parts and hands them to me at the appropriate time. We test each resistor on an ohm meter. He can see the small numbers on the capacitors with his naked eyes. I still need the magnification and light from my loupe.

Dave K8WPE

Join MuraniaKit@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.