Date   
Re: Maurania

Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
 

Everett. Were you not happy with the mods?



On September 21, 2019, at 3:26 PM, "Everett Catlin via Groups.Io" <everettcatlin@...> wrote:


Hi Dave,
I get WMCP, WKOm ?, Some other local stations. WSM out of Nashville. Listen to OPRY Saturday night. Brings back many memories. I did the mod played with it tnd then took it back to original.

73Everett Catlin N5MZX


On Saturday, September 21, 2019, 12:30:11 PM CDT, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:


Everett-

Still looking forward to building mine- too many other irons in the fire.

We have a 5kW AM station about a mile from here.  I figure it'll cover the band during daylight hours.  It's Country music, but it's that 'Top-40 Country' format- which seems to be merging with 'pop'. Slim chance of hearing Dolly there! 

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Everett Catlin via Groups.Io <everettcatlin=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I just wanted to say that my Murania is still in daily use.I think I have more enjoyment from this kit than any other kit I have ever built. My local station WMCP is on now and I am listening to Dolly sing. Thanks again to 4SQRP.

73
Everett Catlin N5MZX Columbia, Tn.

Re: Maurania

John - KD5EJA
 

I agree, Everett! I've homebrewed and built a lot of kits, but this little AM radio seems to hold some magic in it. I guess it brings back a lot of memories of crystal radios I used to listen to as a kid.

It's strange that you started this thread yesterday. I just so happened to finally getting around to rewinding the ant yesterday while watching college football. I've had the wire sitting on my desk for months, but kept procrastinating doing it! I dozed off after finishing the 15 min job while listening to the Murania. Sweet!

73,
John, KD5EJA

Re: Maurania

Paul Smith
 

Glad to hear U are enjoying the kit
N0NBD

Sent from Outlook


From: MuraniaKit@4SQRP.groups.io <MuraniaKit@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:23 PM
To: MuraniaKit@4sqrp groups. io <MuraniaKit@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [MuraniaKit] Maurania
 

Same here. Every day.



On September 21, 2019, at 8:47 AM, "Everett Catlin via Groups.Io" <everettcatlin@...> wrote:


I just wanted to say that my Murania is still in daily use.I think I have more enjoyment from this kit than any other kit I have ever built. My local station WMCP is on now and I am listening to Dolly sing. Thanks again to 4SQRP.

73
Everett Catlin N5MZX Columbia, Tn.

Re: Maurania

Everett Catlin
 

Hi Dave,
I get WMCP, WKOm ?, Some other local stations. WSM out of Nashville. Listen to OPRY Saturday night. Brings back many memories. I did the mod played with it tnd then took it back to original.

73Everett Catlin N5MZX


On Saturday, September 21, 2019, 12:30:11 PM CDT, Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:


Everett-

Still looking forward to building mine- too many other irons in the fire.

We have a 5kW AM station about a mile from here.  I figure it'll cover the band during daylight hours.  It's Country music, but it's that 'Top-40 Country' format- which seems to be merging with 'pop'. Slim chance of hearing Dolly there! 

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Everett Catlin via Groups.Io <everettcatlin=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I just wanted to say that my Murania is still in daily use.I think I have more enjoyment from this kit than any other kit I have ever built. My local station WMCP is on now and I am listening to Dolly sing. Thanks again to 4SQRP.

73
Everett Catlin N5MZX Columbia, Tn.

Re: Maurania

Dave Benson
 

Everett-

Still looking forward to building mine- too many other irons in the fire.

We have a 5kW AM station about a mile from here.  I figure it'll cover the band during daylight hours.  It's Country music, but it's that 'Top-40 Country' format- which seems to be merging with 'pop'. Slim chance of hearing Dolly there! 

73- Dave, K1SWL


On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Everett Catlin via Groups.Io <everettcatlin=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I just wanted to say that my Murania is still in daily use.I think I have more enjoyment from this kit than any other kit I have ever built. My local station WMCP is on now and I am listening to Dolly sing. Thanks again to 4SQRP.

73
Everett Catlin N5MZX Columbia, Tn.

Re: Maurania

Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
 

Same here. Every day.



On September 21, 2019, at 8:47 AM, "Everett Catlin via Groups.Io" <everettcatlin@...> wrote:


I just wanted to say that my Murania is still in daily use.I think I have more enjoyment from this kit than any other kit I have ever built. My local station WMCP is on now and I am listening to Dolly sing. Thanks again to 4SQRP.

73
Everett Catlin N5MZX Columbia, Tn.

Maurania

Everett Catlin
 

I just wanted to say that my Murania is still in daily use.I think I have more enjoyment from this kit than any other kit I have ever built. My local station WMCP is on now and I am listening to Dolly sing. Thanks again to 4SQRP.

73
Everett Catlin N5MZX Columbia, Tn.

thanks

JAMES DAVIDSON
 

glad to be in the loop

Murania kits back in stock

Paul Smith
 

All the parts got here and I have 35 Muranias kitted/boxed up ready to ship. If I get your order before noon or so tomorrow I will mail it out, otherwise it will be Monday. I am going to the lake for a couple days and play radio. Thanks de Paul N0NBD

A Daily User my Murania

Everett Catlin
 

Listen to it when I get up. On and off during day ( WMCP ). In the evening it's ( WSM ) It is my go to radio. Thanks to 4SQRP for such a fine and and functional kit.

Everett Catlin N5MZX
4SQRP no.1314

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
 

Certainly, the wire size will vary the number of turns needed to get the right inductance but there's nothing wrong with experimenting to get the best results...Congratulations!

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:04 PM John L. Porter <jjbbl2@...> wrote:
Jim, I do have a meter, but forgot to check the inductance when I increased the turns to 61. I tweaked it some more over the weekend by decreasing the turns to 51 turns. Can you believe it, but I still forgot to use my meter to check inductance! hi . Never-the-less, it improved the tuning to very close indications on the dial as compared to another old AM receiver I have. I'm happy with that.

73,
John, KD5EJA

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

John - KD5EJA
 

Jim, I do have a meter, but forgot to check the inductance when I increased the turns to 61. I tweaked it some more over the weekend by decreasing the turns to 51 turns. Can you believe it, but I still forgot to use my meter to check inductance! hi . Never-the-less, it improved the tuning to very close indications on the dial as compared to another old AM receiver I have. I'm happy with that.

73,
John, KD5EJA

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
 

Great news Johnny!

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 10:49 AM Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:
Gm Group
I found a few minutes to implement Jim's mods this  morning.
Excellent results!
The Muriana is now better than ever!
Thanks Jim!
73 Johnny AC0BQ


On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 2:53 PM Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
I've been asked to re-post my list of mods to the Murania receiver...This is the updated list with corrections to previous typos...Please feel free to ask any questions...Jim WB2LHP

Detector Gain Control...

FLOAT the wiper lug of R3
Place a jumper between the PADS for the R3 wiper and the high side of R3
Lift the leg of R1 that intersects with R2 and R3
Connect a jumper between the floated leg of R1 and the wiper of R3
 
This allows R3 to control the gain of the detector stage in the TA7642...The audio amp runs wide open...Adjust R3 for the best sounding audio...R3 now acts similar to a regenerative control where there is both volume and gain reaction...
 
Reduced audio distortion...
 
In addition to my previous post regarding the change in use of R3, change R2 from 1K to 2.7K...This biases the output stage of the TA7642 for linear operation...
 
Frequency coverage and dial mapping...
 
Increase L1 from 37 turns to 61 turns...Remove C8...This centers the frequency coverage and makes the dial tracking spot on...
 
Overall Performance...

The Murania now presents with crystal clear audio and sharper tuning...Remember, this is not a superhet receiver...It is a simple TRF front end, detector and audio amplifier...Careful adjustment of the gain and tuning controls will give excellent results...The battery life is excellent...This is my favorite AM BCB receiver...Enjoy!



--
QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..


Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Johnny AC0BQ
 

Gm Group
I found a few minutes to implement Jim's mods this  morning.
Excellent results!
The Muriana is now better than ever!
Thanks Jim!
73 Johnny AC0BQ


On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 2:53 PM Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
I've been asked to re-post my list of mods to the Murania receiver...This is the updated list with corrections to previous typos...Please feel free to ask any questions...Jim WB2LHP

Detector Gain Control...

FLOAT the wiper lug of R3
Place a jumper between the PADS for the R3 wiper and the high side of R3
Lift the leg of R1 that intersects with R2 and R3
Connect a jumper between the floated leg of R1 and the wiper of R3
 
This allows R3 to control the gain of the detector stage in the TA7642...The audio amp runs wide open...Adjust R3 for the best sounding audio...R3 now acts similar to a regenerative control where there is both volume and gain reaction...
 
Reduced audio distortion...
 
In addition to my previous post regarding the change in use of R3, change R2 from 1K to 2.7K...This biases the output stage of the TA7642 for linear operation...
 
Frequency coverage and dial mapping...
 
Increase L1 from 37 turns to 61 turns...Remove C8...This centers the frequency coverage and makes the dial tracking spot on...
 
Overall Performance...

The Murania now presents with crystal clear audio and sharper tuning...Remember, this is not a superhet receiver...It is a simple TRF front end, detector and audio amplifier...Careful adjustment of the gain and tuning controls will give excellent results...The battery life is excellent...This is my favorite AM BCB receiver...Enjoy!



--
QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..


Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Johnny AC0BQ
 

Hello Jeff
When we get the parts from our supplier, we will be back in business.
73
Johnny 

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 9:09 PM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:
Gee, I hope there's going to be another run of these kits!


On Feb 19, 2019, at 3:49 PM, John L. Porter <jjbbl2@...> wrote:

Well Jim, I completed the mods yesterday and wanted to wait until I had a chance to listen to the Murania at night before reporting back.

These mods definitely improved dial linearity, selectivity/sensitivity and overall sound quality on my radio! I am hearing stations now that previously were not detected all through the tuning range. The radio does seem to be more directional now. Positioning is important when listening. I saw your post from 12/1/2018, explaining this.

Anyone having trepidations about installing the mods need not worry. The improvements to an already neat little radio where worth the time!

I have one question, Jim. How important to winding the antenna is wire size. I had to use smaller copper wire and in doing so the 61 turns ended up in the center of the ferrite rod. I don't think this is too much of a concern, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the mod information!

73,
John, KD5EJA

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
 

Glad to hear you are pleased with the mods John...

In my case, I still had the leftover wire from the build...I just soldered the wire on and would the coil out to 61 turns...I had the help of an inductance meter...The target value of the inductor is 200 uH...Variations in wire size will mean more or less turns...If you don't have an inductance meter, it's kind of a leap of faith...But in general, you can fill your ferrite form and cut off turns experimentally until your dial lines up with known stations...

If you're doing a brand new build, there is enough included wire to get to the 61 turns...I hope this helps...Jim WB2LHP

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:49 PM John L. Porter <jjbbl2@...> wrote:
Well Jim, I completed the mods yesterday and wanted to wait until I had a chance to listen to the Murania at night before reporting back.

These mods definitely improved dial linearity, selectivity/sensitivity and overall sound quality on my radio! I am hearing stations now that previously were not detected all through the tuning range. The radio does seem to be more directional now. Positioning is important when listening. I saw your post from 12/1/2018, explaining this.

Anyone having trepidations about installing the mods need not worry. The improvements to an already neat little radio where worth the time!

I have one question, Jim. How important to winding the antenna is wire size. I had to use smaller copper wire and in doing so the 61 turns ended up in the center of the ferrite rod. I don't think this is too much of a concern, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the mod information!

73,
John, KD5EJA

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII
 

Gee, I hope there's going to be another run of these kits!


On Feb 19, 2019, at 3:49 PM, John L. Porter <jjbbl2@...> wrote:

Well Jim, I completed the mods yesterday and wanted to wait until I had a chance to listen to the Murania at night before reporting back.

These mods definitely improved dial linearity, selectivity/sensitivity and overall sound quality on my radio! I am hearing stations now that previously were not detected all through the tuning range. The radio does seem to be more directional now. Positioning is important when listening. I saw your post from 12/1/2018, explaining this.

Anyone having trepidations about installing the mods need not worry. The improvements to an already neat little radio where worth the time!

I have one question, Jim. How important to winding the antenna is wire size. I had to use smaller copper wire and in doing so the 61 turns ended up in the center of the ferrite rod. I don't think this is too much of a concern, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the mod information!

73,
John, KD5EJA
_._,_._,_


Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

John - KD5EJA
 

Well Jim, I completed the mods yesterday and wanted to wait until I had a chance to listen to the Murania at night before reporting back.

These mods definitely improved dial linearity, selectivity/sensitivity and overall sound quality on my radio! I am hearing stations now that previously were not detected all through the tuning range. The radio does seem to be more directional now. Positioning is important when listening. I saw your post from 12/1/2018, explaining this.

Anyone having trepidations about installing the mods need not worry. The improvements to an already neat little radio where worth the time!

I have one question, Jim. How important to winding the antenna is wire size. I had to use smaller copper wire and in doing so the 61 turns ended up in the center of the ferrite rod. I don't think this is too much of a concern, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the mod information!

73,
John, KD5EJA

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...>
 

Thanks John...Let me know if you need any assistance...Jim WB2LHP

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:33 AM John L. Porter <jjbbl2@...> wrote:
Thank you, Jim! I'll be making the mods tomorrow and will report my work. I know they should make a 'cool' little radio into a 'super cool' little radio!

73,
John, KD5EJA

Re: Consolidated Murania Mods

John - KD5EJA
 

Thank you, Jim! I'll be making the mods tomorrow and will report my work. I know they should make a 'cool' little radio into a 'super cool' little radio!

73,
John, KD5EJA