Q2 Orientation

Dan Reynolds

I just want to be sure that Q2 is installed "BACKWARDS" of the PCB silkscreen.

I found a post on it on the regular 4SQRP group page and in the instructions it sort of says that - I was assuming the right side of the board was the right side as viewed from the front/face of the board...

Dan Reynolds
KB9JLO

ohwenzelph

Hi Dan,
I think you are correct, at least that’s how I put mine in, (But! it is not tested yet...) i.e.
The bigger of the two flat sides to the right when looking at the board from the front.
You would think they would have fixed the silk screening when they got rid of the N0MOS board that replaced U3, the TA7642.
Also it seems like they want you to wind two of the toroids in one direction and the other two in the opposite direction. Nothing in the instructions about it, it’s just the way the holes in the board are arraigned. I wonder if it matters.
I am impressed by the spacing and how everything fits together. Almost got the 10uF and 100uF electrolytics mixed up, mine are the same size.
73
jerry aa1of

AndyH

You're correct, Dan.

   Q2 has two flat sides.  The smaller flat has the beveled corners.  The small flat aligns with the flat on the silkscreen, and the large flat faces the round side of the silkscreen.  (I assembled my N75a in early March - it's my go-to AM receiver and spends most evenings connected to my 40/20 fan dipole and bringing the sounds of the Caribbean and South America to my bench.)

   Enjoy the build!
   72/73, Andy, KG5RKP

--
   73, Andy, KG5RKP

AndyH

Also of note:  The four toroids are wound differently.  The two on the left (when looking from the front) are wound counter-clockwise, and the two on the right are wound clockwise.

https://kitsandparts.com/howtowindtoroidswithoutpain.php

72, Andy

Dan Reynolds

@AndyH, @ohwenzelph, Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I was wondering about the toroids and so was James - we've been communicating about the kit.

Dan Reynolds
KB9JLO

PS Has anybody made any N75 to N75 QSOs yet?
DApr ,

James Meyer WT2W <Meyerbookbinding@...>

Yep, thanks Dan, Andy and Ohwen....  It's official now, I've started building the kit however I
didn't start on page one.   I wound the coils first, done.   Now I can go back and start at the beginning.
Hey, whatever works huh?   I know what to do with Q2 when I get there.  hi  GL  Jim  WT2W

Click below to listen to my local police and fire scanner,
Auburn Police and Auburn Fire

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:28 AM Dan Reynolds <on30ng@...> wrote:
@AndyH, @ohwenzelph, Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I was wondering about the toroids and so was James - we've been communicating about the kit.

Dan Reynolds
KB9JLO

PS Has anybody made any N75 to N75 QSOs yet?
DApr ,

ohwenzelph

Hi James,
It took me a little while to figure out that the display actually fits most of the way into the hole in the front panel. It is a nice just right snug fit. Also I am not sure if the flat washers are needed to mount the speaker, I ground off a portion of each one so I could get them to lay down flat but you might try just using the lock washer alone under the nut and skipping the flat ones. The switch is off when it’s closest to the corner and on when it’s closest the to middle of the back of the rig. There are about 7 clicks in the speaker when tuning from 3.5 to 4.0 MHz. A couple of the edges of some of the board were a little bit rough. Just a few light swipes with some 220 grit paper was good enough in almost no time. Good luck.
jer aa1of

Dan Reynolds

Another thing I always do with these kits is take a permanent marker and "color" the edges of the board - helps it to blend in better.

Dan ~ KB9JLO