Re: [QRP-L] What difference can a different transmatch (antenna tuner) make?

Michael McEwen

Interesting...my Z-11 Pro into three different PAR EndFedz and a home brew 17 dipole show a good match across the bands for 40/20/17...coax feed...tuner at TXCVRs (Icom 718 and LNR LD5)...using an MFJ 259B to verify...

Maybe I'm lucky...

_ _ ...   ... _ _

Doc - K5OSA

4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886 - Flying Pigs #3587

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret
Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Brian Short <520short@...> wrote:
Obviously, many radios have internal autotuners, too.  I am not a fan of
in-shack autotuners, personally.

I have experimented with several SGC autotuners over the years.  They
are all different.  I have one that will tune a 23' vertical on 160m, but only
handles relatively low power (fine for QRP).
<http://www.qsl.net/k7on/30mVertical/index2.htm>

I have another that will handle 500w (not so QRP), but requires a very
long radiator for 160m (like 250').
<http://www.qsl.net/k7on/EFLW/index3.htm>

Both require 12v and a coaxial cable connection.  The VSWR on the
coax is close to 1:1 so loss is there is fairly low.  For flexibility and the
coverage of many bands, I find them hard to beat (like 160-6m with a
single 23' radiator).  Obviously, performance varies and a 250' wire
works quite well on some lower bands. :)

--
http://www.qsl.net/k7on/
NAQCC #0470 FP #2990

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net