Re: What I've been working on...

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Dan and all,

I would not "lay down a small puddle of solder" on more than one pad.  That puddle of solder on the diagonal lead can keep the other IC leads from seating firmly onto the board traces.  Limit the "small puddle of solder" to one lead only.  Once that lead is soldered in place, then go to the diagonally opposite pin and solder that too.

Then there is the "flood with solder, then remove the excess with solder wick" -  that method does work well in many cases.  Check carefully with magnification to assure that no solder bridges are present if you use that method.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 12/24/2015 5:43 PM, Dan Reynolds on30ng@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Terry, thanks. As complicated as SMD soldering is I find it very cathartic. It requires so much concentration that you HAVE to shut everything else out and except on the teeny-tiniest ones it's just a matter of working through it.

I use the "puddle" method. I lay down a little puddle of solder on one pad (two diagonally opposite pads for an IC). Then I maneuver the part into position and apply heat to 'sink' the part into the puddle. You can actually build up a rhythm doing it that way. I can even line up several parts in a row and nail them down without jiggling the others out of position. Someone told me about the bamboo tweezers. I heard that the BEST 20 & 21 tweezers were good and being wooden they are not magnetic, conductive and are static free. They hold firmly but hardly ever 'shoot' the parts out. And they're cheeeep on that watery auction site.
The only problem I've discovered with this particular board set is that the copper must be low weight. It lifts very easily (found that on the board I ruined). So you have to be very careful with solder wick or you'll tear a pad off. That plus they're small pads!