Re: How do you test a toroid?

Lee Mairs (SAG) <lmairs@...>

Check eBay.� The Chinese have an LC ESR meter that is about $25.� Has good reviews and works great.
73 de Lee
KM4YY

On 3/27/2013 10:31 AM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
�

Hi Don,

Well I can't see spending $150 for an LC meter although it would be nice to have one. I'm not really a electronic tech by any means so it's really hard to justify the expense. And from a practical point of view, building one would take me forever but it certainly looks like a worthy project. In the end, I'm sure I'll just fire it up and see what happens which is my normal method of testing ;-)

Steve

On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:19 PM, Donald Kelly wrote:

Hi Steve,
�
I assume you know the ultimate inductance of the coil you are winding. A handy tool to have is a L/C meter.
Not all toroids are alike and it is always a good idea to measure. My guess is most of the guys have one of these.
�
�
This �meter evolved from a homebrew project by Bill Carver, W7AAZ. A digital readout was added later for easier use. The original project is classic in its simplicity.
It is also included in �Experimental Methods in RF Design� in the test gear chapter.
�
�
�
My version is used all the time. You can see the ugly style board is very simple. The trick is in the calibration steps and having a precision calibrating capacitor.
�
�
Test gear is fun to build and a great way to get started in scratch projects.
�
Don K5UOS
�
�
�
Sent:�Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:18 AM
To:�4sqrp@...
Subject:�[4sqrp] How do you test a toroid?
�
�

The transforming toroids are pretty tricky to wind. Is there any way to test them to find out if you've done it correctly?

Steve

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.