WHAT IS ON YOUR BUCKET LIST? MOON BOUNCE?
GOT AROUND TO READING JULY QST TODAY AND RAN ACROSS A VERY NICE ARTICLE ON MOON-BOUNCE (EME), PAGE 67.
DENNIS, W5RZ, DID A NICE JOB ON “NATIONAL PARKS VIA THE MOON.”
After that, thought I ought to add a moon-bounce contact to my ham bucket list (just turned 75 last Thursday) .
Dennis noted that it doesn’t take that much:
1. Load up K1JT’s WSJT software (free download) for the moon bounce digital mode (known as JT65B), [ physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/j1jt/ ]
2. SSB Transceiver or 432 MHz...........he used an FT-857D at 20 watts......
3. He used a 22-element Yagi..........(K1FO),
4. Determine path of the moon (day or night)......W7GJ makes an excellent planning program called GJTracker, available as a free download from www.bigskyspaces.com/w7jg/.
5. He uses an iphone APP to point at the moon...........called Lunatic (nice name for buck folks) .
member, W0uk club, 4SQRP club.