Re: Second Sunday Sprint

WA0ITP

GM Jim,

Sri its so tough up there.  I remember us trying to make a contact several years ago and not having much luck.  Hang in there and post here and on http://qrpspots.com/ when you're in the shack, maybe we can get lucky.

Give a shout when you're in Iowa again, maybe we can do lunch or coffee.

 72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 7/11/2016 1:29 PM, Jim Larsen jimlarsen2@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Greetings from Alaska,

Situation normal up here above 61 degrees North.  As usual these days there was not one single signal on the 20 meter CW band yesterday.  As such my Q/hour count was very, very low.  I will keep trying but I think I will need to be running 100watts to even have a chance of a QSO.

I wonder if it is legit to call CQ de AL7FS/QRO in the QRP band on hopes of a ragchew with a QRPer who can kick up his power?  One has to run the minimum power to maintain contact and for me that is now 100 watts or higher.  Although I have never had an amplifier hooked up in my shack for over 51 years, I am now thinking of doing just that.  (L-4B, 30L-1, and a couple more I have on hand but have never hooked up.)

This is going to be a really rough sunspot minimum for stations at high latitude.  Seriously...day after day there are no QRP signals and mostly no SKCC signals on the band.  On a good day, there are 1-3 SKCC type QSOs going on all s-3 or weaker.  My beacon of truth is W1AW.  If it is less than S5 or S6, there will be no QSOs for me during that time slot.

I usually whine for fun on the QRP lists but this time it is just information I am sharing.  I have accepted the conditions as they are as it seemed like I had little chance of fixing them myself.  :-)  I have had hams visit me up here and want to operate from my shack.  I especially remember KØEVZ, Doc, and his visit in August of 2002.  http://www.al7fs.us/K0EVZ.html He tuned up and down the band and heard nothing.  It was quite a surprise for him.  (On the oft chance I have the wrong visitor for this story, then it was one of the other visitors as listed on my website.  :-)   )

On a positive note, Alaska contacts will be even more popular or sought after in another five years.

I guess that is about it for today.  Let's all keep making noise (CQ) on 20 meters and maybe we can hit a good day.

73, Jim

Jim Larsen, AL7FS
Anchorage Alaska
1-907-223-3548
http://www.CSTAlaska.com/   Craniosacral Therapy
http://www.AL7FS.us/             QRP Website

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
Don't forget!  This coming Sunday, from 7:00 - 9:00 pm CDT, is the July
Second Sunday Sprint.  Go to QRPContest.com/4sqrp for complete rules.
That's also where you will enter your results. Please do that by Tuesday
evening, July 12th, at the latest.  I will take a look at the results
Wednesday and record them for my spreadsheet.  I will also send a
certificate to the person with the highest score this month.  It could
be YOU!!!! (but only if you participate).

Just for curiosity, if you participate for 15 minutes or more, please
enter your score, even if it is ZERO (0).  I'd like to get a feel for
how many people are trying each month, even if they are only listening.
I'll do this for 6 months (July - December) and decide whether I want to
continue running this contest or throw in the towel and let it fall by
the wayside (or let someone else pick it up).

72,

John AA0VE
4SQRP Contest Coordinator

------------------------------------
Posted by: "John R. Lonigro" <jonigro@...>

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)