Re: Binaural CW Filter?

Don Wilhelm

Dave,

I may be proven wrong, but I don't think filters on two different frequencies will give the same effect.
SDR receivers are based on the 90 degrees out of phase signals derived from a quadrature mixture. The Binaral receiver lets the listener do the DSP stuff in the human brain - the SDR receivers use a computer (either in the receiver box or in a computer to do the same processing).

I don't think the same results can be derived by listening to two different audio frequencies (even though they may have phase differences). The brain would have to do Fourier transforms for that to happen.

Not to "rain on your parade", and this is not intended to squelch your ideas, but only to say that if you are successful, it would be something entirely new and not thought of before - but entirely different than the Binaral receiver or other SDR concepts.
If successful, it would be worthy of an article in a major ham magazine.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 11/1/2016 11:35 PM, david cripe ai9e_qrp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Some years ago Rick Campbell wrote an excellent article for QST
describing a 'Binaural
Receiver' http://www.arrl.org/files/file/History/History%20of%20QST%20Volume%201%20-%20Technology/QS03-99-Campbell.pdf.
The basic concept is that you use a quadrature mixer for the final IF
converter, and the two outputs are fed to left and right headphone channels.

It just struck me that a cheap and dirty version of this should be
attained using our Hi-Per-Mite CW filters. If you have one set up for
700 Hz, and another one for 770, or 640Hz center frequency, each feeding
the left or right headphone channel, much the same effect is achieved.
The different phase shift that each filter has for each frequency will
give a sensation of depth, helping the ear pick out signals in a crowded
band. I haven't verified this yet, but I will as soon as I get some
workshop time.

73 Dave NM0S