Re: PigRig and HPM

random.path

I did a little test with my PigRig #147. I attached an Elecraft Ngen broadband noise generator to the antenna input, and ran the audio output into my Signalink USB sound "card". Looking at the output with Spectrogram, you can see the filter shape.

I'll try to provide a link to a screenshot later, but it looks like the ultimate rejection of the crystal filter is only about 30db at audio frequencies above the passband. It has very wide skirts too. This means you'll hear plenty of signals outside of the 500 Hz passband, but hopefully they won't be too intrusive.

Given the simplicity and cost of this little transceiver, I'm certainly not going to complain, but you can't expect too much!

Chip

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Roberts <steverob@...> wrote:

I just fired up my pig rig for the first time and still haven't tuned it in but it sends and receives close to the target freq. I heard a lot of background noise and I think the bandpass needs tweaking as there seemed to be a number of stations on the freq, so I think that needs some adjustment. I have a hyper mite and haven't used it, but as I just listened to 40 with the pig rig, I immediately thought it might be a great addition. Glad to hear that you tried one. Can you tell me how you have your Hipermite set up?

73
Steve
W1SFR

On Mar 30, 2013, at 7:04 PM, WA0ITP wrote:

I just stuck the Hi_per_Mite on the pigrig. Man does it ever clean up the
sidetone. Lots of QRN on 40 today so it's probobly not a fair test of the HPM
but it sounds vy good so far.

Anyone else using this combo today?

I love this radio stuff !
72 WAƘITP