Re: Frankenrig lives!

Tommy Gober

Looks great. I'm impressed that digital display still reads correctly in spite of the keyer voltage mishap and even when power is turned off and completely disconnected!

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Nice Job Tom!
Love the way you repurpose the old cases!

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:22 AM Tom Sevart tmsevart@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I burned the midnight oil last night to get the Frankenrig all put
together and working like it's supposed to. The Frankenrig is a 40m
transceiver put together from various projects, including an NS-40
transmitter, VRX-1 beta build receiver, Norcal keyer, and a T/R switch
copied from an MFJ QRP rig. It took a few days to get all the necessary
wiring connections together, but I finally did it and even managed to
hook up the pots and the paddle jack the right way the first time.

What I failed to do, though, was realize the Norcal board which someone
else had built did not have a 78L05 voltage regulator, but a wire
soldered across where it should have gone. Apparently someone had used
it with 3 AA batteries. So I ended up putting 12V through the chip,
which explains why in the brief time I first turned the rig on, I
smelled something getting warm. Once I realized what I did, I dug out a
78L05 and put it in place, installed a new keyer chip, and I was good to
go.

I hope if I have time this weekend to make a few QSO's with it.

Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f904uueh9tu4llt/Frankenrig.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq4pkn825harwnx/Frankenrig%202.jpg?dl=0

--