Re: Sockets

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Bob - it is more the fun factor. Hams love to experiment!

From: 4sqrp@... <4sqrp@...> on behalf of Bob Nelson rln37@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 12:52 PM
To: 4sqrp@...; Brian Ford
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Sockets

Please excuse my skepticism, but is all this effort to re-grind, house and socket
crystals worth the time and bother??
Why not invest the same time and effort into building a DDFS board, that can
generate almost any freq you might want on, say, 40 meters.  And do it from one
crystal that is readily available for a buck or two, and never needs to be plugged
in or out, so needs no socket.
Modern tech has eliminated the need to labor over crystals with hand grinding,
and all the risk and bother that entails.

Just asking.  .  .
73 - Bob, K6KL

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.