Re: Keying 180 Volts DC With A Straight Key!

Don Wilhelm

Oh yes, I remember those days of cathode keyed transmitters.
If you contacted metal parts of the key, you could get quite a shock.

Some actually keyed the B+ instead of the cathodes and the key became more "lethal".

Nostalgia aside, I am glad to be dealing with solid state devices and lower voltages. These days keying is via logic level devices - 5 volts maximum.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 12/29/2016 7:51 PM, 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Hello,

I was pondering a " next tube transmitter project " and was looking at the
schematic of the Western Radio BN-1 one tube transceiver kit of the 1950's.

They were actually keying 180 Volts B+ with a straight key, meaning if you
held your .49 cent J-38 just right - you might get to meet Marconi!