Re: Parts list for beginning builder

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/06/2013 19:30, Jeremy Utley wrote:

wondered if some of you in the group were just starting over again, what
kind of stuff would you want to stock up on?
Resistors in common values 10 Ohm to 1 Megohm, lots of 1K's; lots of .1 and .01 uF caps as well as 1 uF, 10 uF, 47 uF, 100 uF electrolytics; 1N4001 and 4148 diodes; 3904 or 2N2222 transistors; 1K, 10K, and 100K pots; lots of different kinds of switches, rocker or toggle SPST, SPDT, DPDT (if you just get the DPDT you can use them as SPST & SPDT); LED's of different colors, mainly red & green but blue ones add some pizazz to a project; 8 Ohm impedence speakers; piezo buzzers; 555 timer IC's; 78L05 voltage regulartors; both stereo and mono 3.5mm headphone jacks; coaxial power jacks; SO-239's and/or panel mount BNC jacks.

I'm sure there's a lot more but this covers the basics. Then don't forget enclosures. Those computer peripheral A/B switch boxes or old CB's work well for QRP projects.

That reminds me that I need to make an order with my favorite electronics outlet because I'm running low on a lot of the stuff I just mentioned.

If you want I can put together a "starter kit" of some surplus items and send it to you. I know I've got a bunch of 2N2222's, probably far more than I'll ever use. I'm sure I've got a lot of other stuff I can spare as well.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS