Re: Failed IRF510 in BJ

Curt

The IRF510 can take a large current from drain to source, and get very hot without damage -- I learned this the 'hot way' in connecting my Magic Box up to a tuna tin 2 type keying circuit (that has bias on its key interface) from a transmitter I had copied from N5IB (interesting this was the original BJ version!).  Just because the IRF510 got very hot does not mean it is dead -- this would likely gate damage to the gate to be dead in a normal 12 volt PA application.  I hope you tried to use the BJ after discovery of the hot device?  No need to add to the email chain if the device is dead, and is being replaced.

everyone should keep building in spite of this kind of issues -- it is part of the adventure.

73 Curt