Re: Digest Number 1704

Don Wilhelm

Ed,

If you want to obtain a panadapter display from the KX3 RX IQ output of the KX3, get a soundcard that is capable of at least 96K bandwidth, 192k is better. Yes, the input must be stereo for RX IQ to work.

At 192kHz, there will be some falloff at the edges, but that is normal for the KX3. Note that the PX3 compensates for that falloff.

A low noise soundcard is important. Look at the soundcard information on www.telepostinc.com for comparisons.

73,
Don W3FPR

wg5f
<mailto:wg5f@arrl.net?subject=Re%3A%20KX3%20%26%20USB%20sound%20cards>

Let me say that I've seen this discussed on the KX3 group and no one
seems to have a answer that holds water. Maybe the guys asking the
questions just didn't make it clear (to what I'm looking for...)
I've had my KX3 since the first batches that came out. I keep learning
new things about it but one thing that has had me stumped is how it will
work when connected to a STEREO input on my Laptop for Panadapter display.
All my computers have MONO mic inputs. They don't have a LINE IN. So i
can't take advantage of the RX I/Q connections. I'd love to get one of
those $6 USB external sound cards, but none of them seem to have STEREO
mic inputs. I really hate to buy a big external BOX type external sound
card, that adds bulk to my KX3 go bag. I'd also not like to pay $30,
$60, $100 bucks for it either.
What practical experience do any of you 4SQRP'rs have with the USB
external sounds cards with STEREO mic inputs? And more importantly your
experience with the KX3 using the RX I/Q lines with programs such as
va2fsq's WIN4K3Suite? Any solid recommendations or warnings? I've been
piddling with this for 2 years and I'm ready to get over this hurdle.
Again - this is not for just digital mode operating. I'm not talking
about running FLDigi, or other such programs. I know that I don't need a
stereo input for that (and it's not hooked to the RX I/Q lines.) I want
to play with the SDR capabilities of the KX3 and interface it more
integrally while portable.
Any help?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-