Re: PigRig program button stopped working

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

I just occurred to me that when I built the rig the wire I used for the power in was heavier gauge than spec'd and I could only get one turn around the ferrite choke. Could that be the problem? Maybe an external choke on the power input would help?

Steve

On Apr 7, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Todd F. Carney / K7TFC wrote:

Steve,

Do you think noise might be getting in and screwing up the keyer chip? Something peculiar to your environment or DC source, maybe? The Vcc bypass cap, C23, is about as close as it could be to the chip, but I wonder what adding, say, 1uF *and* a .01uF caps across C23 to provide a range of low-impedance paths for a wider range of noise frequencies? I also wonder if you could have a bad D7? Or for that matter anything else in the power chain. If your PR is naked, I wonder what an enclosure might do?

Sorry if these ideas have already been mentioned.

Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM, w1sfr <steverob@...> wrote:

I spoke too soon. It worked fine for about 5 minutes then the keyer went whacky again. Now I'm getting weird sounds when I key down. If I hit the switch the sidetone sounds fine, but as soon as I start to send, there's a very loud hum as I key it. I tried different keys thinking it might be a plug or something, but I'm back to thinking that it's the keyer IC.

Steve

--- In 4sqrp@..., "w1sfr" wrote:
>
> Ok guys, here's an update.
>
> Well, the keyer chip has mysteriously rebooted itself and is now working. Don't ask me what happened. I took the rig to the shop and checked everything. I found that the stock switch was indeed intermittent so I installed a mini toggle switch for now until I can locate a momentary switch like the one that came with the kit. While I was at it, I installed a power indicator led light which will be helpful when I operate via battery. I also discovered in the process that one of my APP connectors in a 3 way dongle that I built is not good, which explains the sudden and nerve wracking loss of power which at the time I took as a very bad sign.
>
> Anyhoo, all is well and the radio is happily chirping along. Now all I have to do is get someone to answer my call and confirm my calling freq and all will be well in the world.
>
> 72
> Steve
> W1SFR
>
>
> --- In 4sqrp@..., "w1sfr" wrote:
> >
> > I decided to try to realign my xmit freq and adjusted the cap so I heard a good signal on 7030.7 on my big rig.
> >
> > After doing that, I put everything back together and hooked it up and now I don't have any control of my keyer.
> >
> > What should I look for?
> >
> > Steve
> > W1SFR
> >
>

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.