Re: Exact Bayou Jumper Crystal Frequency?

Sean Edwards

I just did this, and it worked!

Thanks Doug!

A 14 pin IC socket can create 4 crystal sockets:

1.) From each row of 7, remove pins 2, 4 and 6, extract with needle nose pliers or simply cut off..
2.) Cut IC socket on each side where pin 4 use to be, creating 2 pieces
3.) Remove remaining cross connectors from each half, creating 4 pieces
4.) Solder one piece in place where crystal should go
5.) Insert desired crystal into the socket you just created and installed
6.) Use remaining sockets in other projects, or send to 3 ham friends

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Doug Hendricks ki6ds1@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I suggest that you not use the machine pin socket. Use an ic socket that you cut down. Use the ones with wipers.

On Apr 29, 2017 4:04 PM, "Jim Sheldon w0eb@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Good idea. Those scanner crystal sockets were designed for the large (16 gauge) crystal pins, not the fine wire of those HC-49 miniature ones. Old "machined pin" IC socket pins would be great. That's what I plan to use once my Cricket gets here.

Jim