Re: Hyper-Cricket at 12 volts?

John Lonigro

As someone mentioned, the main reason for making the Cricket work on 12 volts is just to have it run in the shack without wasting 9 volt batteries. My suggestion is to build a simple 9 volt regulator that has a snap connector on the output and a powerpole (or whatever) on the input. There would be no mods made to the Cricket and, when desired, a 12 volt power supply could be used to power it. All the parts (regulator and a couple of capacitors) would easily fit into a 35 mm film can (remember them?) or a small pillbox. With the current levels we are talking about, no heat sinks would be required.

72,

John, AA0VE

On 05/04/2017 09:44 AM, bob.groh@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

The answer is 'maybe' but it brings up the question 'why???'. The Cricket is what it is - a fun little, uncomplicated CW rig. I personally figure on leaving it the way it is. You know, somewhat before we start talking about 'overshoes' and the like. Although a nice power amp with maybe 20 dB of gain would certainly do a bit to help the 'power urge' - 1 watt in, 100 watts out. Boy, wouldn't my neighbors like that! Not exactly QRP of course either.

73 and grins
Bob Groh, WA2CKY