Re: Hyper-Cricket at 12 volts?

Kenneth Ketner

Greetings:
Thanks for the reply.

Gottacricket. Finished it yesterday. As promised, got .7 watt out directly on my official Oak Hills qrp wattmeter at first smoke test. It retains smoke. Nice sidetone but had  clunk on key release. Will research same. I am running my straight key into the adapter. Got RX noise, but no-one about at the ColorBust frequency just then.

I wanted to ask the experts about 12 volts before trying it. Fried cricket is not appetizing. So I will try more juice, maybe try the resistor change. I would prefer a whole watt if possible.

Wouldn't the cricket be as joyful at 1 watt as it is at .7?
1 is the master number. 1 + 1 is 2, 2 + 1 is 3. 1/2 is a number, 23/32 is some kinda number....   Therefore, 1 is important, numberwise.

73
Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD
ARRL, RSGB, G-QRP
PO Box 65135, Lubbock, Texas 79464-5135

On May 04, 2017, at 08:17 AM, WA0ITP wrote:

GM Ken,  Yabut (always one of those isnt there).

W0EB just posted a coupla days ago that he found very little difference in output power from 9 to 12 increase.  Maybe Jim will chime in here.

The designer, NM0S, in a private email to me when I asked abt 12 volts,
said that R6 would need to be changed to 150k or 220k. I was thinking abt the convenience of using a 3 cell LiPo, and having loong battery life.  Haven't done that yet.

Sure it could be redesigned for more power, VFO, more sensitivity, etc.  But then it would be a whole new rig and not a Cricket anymore.  Dave designed it as an inexpensive, minimalist, and fun entry level rig.

btw Ken, do you own a Cricket yet?  They're great fun.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 5/3/2017 10:41 PM, Kenneth Ketner klaine@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Will the little chirper take 12 volts for a bit more output?

I recently saw a circuit, Tayloe simple tx at Hendricks kits, that got 4 watts on 3 parallel bs170 s.

Ken Ketner
KA5ELD
PO Box 65135
Lubbock, TX 79464-5135